Oskar 'LakermaN' Ljungström Profile
Oskar "LakermaN" Ljungström made his mark in the gaming world playing Quake as part of the Swedish Chefs clan. His demos were some of the most popular around the world. He won the COTS Lan Tournament by defeating nearly every recognized Scandinavian Quake player. After leaving Quake, Ljungström lived off the $45k he had saved from gaming until it ran dry in 2002, when he ventured into online poker. He deposited $50 on a whim and one week later is was over $1,000 so he knew he was on to something. He would eventually make as much as $100,000 in a year from playing. Ljungström has focused most of his efforts on Limit Hold'em cash game play. Ljungström was born in Uppsala, Sweden in 1980 and lives in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Things you might not know:
- Ljungström has been playing video games since he was 5.
- Ljungström first favorite games were Warcraft 2 and Doom 2.
- Ljungström always enjoyed role playing games like Zelda, Final Fantasy etc.
- Ljungström formed "QuadArena Allstars" in 2000.
- Ljungström was first at True Gamers Invitational defeating German Quake Legend SK-Kane.
- Ljungström was in Swedish Chefs from September 1996 until he quit playing Quake in 2001.
- Ljungström lived with his family in the U.S. for several years during his teens. The competition in Quake was strongest in the U.S. with the biggest tournaments (PGL and the CPL), cash prizes and coverage. He would often spend 4-5 hours a day, playing many maps and bots to improve his aim.
- Ljungström's favorite player was DOOMer, toughest opponent was y0_of_SC, and the toughest clan was 9.
- Ljungström placed 2nd in the 2000 WCGC winning his largest prize of $15,000 that he also won for second at Babbages CPL.
- Ljungström played Quake3 from 2000-2002, achieving considerable success.
- Ljungström's passion became golf while he was living on his winnings from Quake before he ventured into poker.
- Ljungström claims intelligence and handling stress under pressure are qualities that he took from Quake to poker.
- Ljungström became a online poker pro in the spring of 2004.
- Ljungström poker winnings are estimated to be well over $1 million.
- Ljungström focused on Limit Hold'em, playing anything from $20/$40 LHE to $100/$200 LHE.
- Ljungström is indeed a fan of the NBA Los Angeles Lakers.
Oskar "LakermaN" Ljungström's advice for getting into poker is to buy a couple of good books, Texas Hold'em for advanced players by David Sklansky is what most people start with, me included. After that you need to invest a lot of hours at the tables. It's important to remember that out of 100 people playing, 85% lose money. 10% break even or small winnings, 5% are regular winners. This is because the companies that provide the pokerrooms take about 5% per pot which is quite a lot in the long run. My most important advice would probably be to not play for money you can't afford to lose.
To access some LakermaN Quake demo's click HERE
Three LakermaN Quake videos; a two part 2000 Babbages CPT Finals Game 1b against Zero4 and an exciting match with Wombat at 2000 SXL Quake 3:
Other famous poker player profiles: