Layne Flack Profile
Layne Flack has experienced both the highs and lows of poker. He has won 6 WSOP bracelets with 23 WSOP cashes. He won one WPT event while finishing second twice. He has over $4.3 million in live tournament play winnings. Flack was born May 18, 1969 in Rapid City, South Dakota, grew up in Montana, and currently resides in Montana and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Things you might not know:
- Flack was taught poker and pinochle by his grandparents, which translated well to poker when he got older.
- Flack got a job working in a casino after he graduated from high school.
- Flack decided to go to college four years later, although he dealt during the summers off.
- Flack was mentored by Huck Seed in Montana after he had his first child and had helped open a card room in the local casino.
- Flack took his second go at professional poker in Las Vegas in 1997, and won his first WSOP bracelet in 1999.
- In 2000, Flack had just won a tournament and had almost completely wasted it away in some side game right afterward. It was late and Johnny Chan approached him advising him to get some sleep and he would stake him in the tournament the following day. That boost of confidence from Chan prodded Flack into winning the tournament the next day earning Chan half of flack's first-place prize. Chan would go on to mentor Flack as well.
- Flack got his "Back to Back Flack" nickname after winning two consecutive WSOP Events in 2002.
- Flack won two more bracelets the following year in 2003.
- Unfortunately for Flack, with success came temptation, that included alcohol, ecstasy and other drugs.
- Flack's friends and family had an intervention for him in 2004, where Daniel Negreanu footed the $60,000 bill for him to get help.
- Flack would final table four WSOP in the year following his rehab.
Layne "Back to Back" Flack has always had a penchant for partying, as evidenced by his latest DUI in 2009 and dip in results the last few years.
‘If I didn’t have it in me to gamble big, I wouldn’t play poker the way I do,’ he says. ‘There are people you can give $10,000 to and they will quit after they win $25,000. Other people, like me, we can run that sum up to a million because we love action and are willing to take risks.’
When focused and hungry, Flack is a fearsome opponent with sharp analytical and reading skills at the table. Flack is presently shopping around the pilot to a reality show covering his life called "Life in the Fast Layne."
Flack videos showing a good read, discussing the changing game, his new reality show, and a fun interview with Lakers owner Jerry Buss:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates