Hoyt Corkins Profile
- Corkins started playing at the age of 19, having learned the game from his father.
- Corkins credits that time observing his father's home games with giving him the gift to read other players well.
- Corkins saw his first tournament success in 1989 with a fourth place finish in a WSOP PLO event.
- Corkins often wears ear plugs while playing live to cancel out the other player's chatter at the table.
- Corkins won his first WSOP bracelet in 1992 and disappeared from the game for 11 years whilst going through a tough divorce. He was eventually encouraged to return to poker by his then fiancee Natalie in 2003.
- Corkins keeps over sixty head of cattle at his Alabama ranch.
- Corkins was nicknamed "Mr. All-In" by Phil Hellmuth due to his aggressive nature at some tournaments.
- Corkins has also been nicknamed "Nightmare" for his unpredictably aggressive style.
- Corkins had a 3-1 chip lead over Gus Hansen at the 2004 Poker Stars Caribbean Adventure, getting in his money with dominating hand only to be three-outed and settling for second and $290k.
- Corkins was featured in the movie "Lucky You" with Eric Bana and Drew Barrymore.
- Corkins has three daughters and keeps a home in Las Vegas, Nevada as well as Alabama.
Hoyt "Alabama Cowboy" Corkins almost always has his trademark black cowboy hat and cowboy boots at the table. His intimidating style has always been one of big aggression and big moves, keeping his opponents off balance.
Corkins discusses his aggressive style, his background and reviews his WSOP win:
Other famous poker player profiles: