Lex Veldhuis Profile
Lex Veldhuis is one of the top poker players from Holland. His biggest cash was in the 2009 $40k buy-in NLHE WSOP event where his 7th place finish was good for over $277k. Veldhuis won his first Dutch tournament title in October 2010 taking down the Dutch Poker Open for $86k. He has live tournament winnings of nearly $600k. Veldhuis is a Team PokerStars Pro who is active in the EPT and American tournament scene. He has played on High Stakes Poker and The Big Game.Veldhuis was born in December 29, 1983 in Vlissingen, Holland and current splits time between Las Vegas and Rotterdam.
Things you might not know:
- Veldhuis loved playing sports as a kid, then switched his competitive instincts to Nintendo and eventually Starcraft.
- Veldhuis started trying poker with play money in 2003.
- Veldhuis was urged to play poker by a couple Starcraft friends who had made the successful switch to poker, Victor "Nazgul" Goossen and Frenchman Bertrand "ElkY" Grospellier.
- Goossens first deposited $10 which Veldhuis eventually lost. Grospellier then deposited $10 at PokerStars for Veldhuis in 2005 and the rest is history.
- Veldhuis started a degree in Criminology at Erasmus University in Rotterdam, be he left his studies when poker took off.
- Veldhuis has been dating professional poker player Evelyn Ng for several years.
- Veldhuis credit Ng with introducing more stability and measured performance over the wild swings and over-aggressive play that Veldhuis has traditionally suffered.
- Veldhuis considers himself very OCD with games, throwing himself into it, and often playing 30 tables at the same time online.
- Veldhuis once played Phil Ivey at $200-$400 after having been up playing poker for 30 hours and considers is a big victory he didn't go broke.
Lex "RaSZi" Veldhuis credits Starcraft for teaching him to multi-table, speed of making decisions and improve his overall strategic thinking. He feels he is a much better poker player than he ever was at Starcraft, unlike his friends Goosens and Grospellier. He has been branching out into more PLO and mixed games so he can have a bigger impact in the 2011 WSOP mixed events.
Veldhuis EPT interview, two videos highlighting his active play at 2009 WSOP and a good read at High Stakes Poker that Phil Ivey re-bluffs all in:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates