Phil Gordon Profile
Posted by Bill "zimba" Seibert 2 years, 37 weeks ago
Phil Gordon is a well known poker professional, commentator and author. He finished 4th in his first WSOP Main Event in 2001, winning $400k. Gordon made several more final tables in the next few years, though not winning a bracelet. He has 18 WSOP cashes in total. Gordon won the 2004 WPT Bay 101 Shooting Star tournament over Chris Moneymaker for $360k while finishing runner up at the 2002 UltimateBet Aruba tournament. Gordon won the Full Tilt Poker Championship at Red Rock for a $600k payday. Gordon's live tournament winnings exceed $2.3 million. Gordon was born July 6, 1970 in El Paso, Texas and currently splits time between Newport, Washington and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Things you might not know:
- Gordon grew up in Stone Mountain, Georgia where he learned poker from his Aunt Lib during the summers.
- Gordon attended Georgia Tech as a 15 year old high school student.
- Gordon dropped out of high school after 11th grade to attend Georgia Tech with a National Merit Scholarship.
- Gordon used his computer science degree working at Lockheed and Netsys as a lead software engineer, which was then acquired by Cisco and making him a millionaire.
- Gordon retired from the high-tech industry to travel the world and play poker in 1997.
- Gordon is part of the group known as the "Tiltboys", who helped design the software that was used for Full Tilt Poker and he is a member of Team Full Tilt.
- Gordon has done numerous poker broadcasts as commentator and interviewer, including Bravo's Celebrity Poker Showdown, WSOP coverage, Pro-AM Poker Equalizer, and his own podcast The Poker Edge.
- Gordon has written four poker books, including the best sellers Poker: The Real Deal and Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Hold 'em. He writes poker articles and put out a DVDFinal Table with Phil Gordon.
- Gordon is 6'9 inches tall.
- Gordon is active in philanthropic causes; cancer research through put a Bad Beat on Cancer and Ante Up for Africa where he donated over $100k in winnings to the charity.
- Gordon is also a serious contract bridge player. He won two North American Bridge Championships.
- Gordon appeared in the 2008 film The Grand, directed by Zak Penn.
Phil "no limits" Gordon has parlayed his intelligence, good looks and charm into a respected career as both player, teacher and commentator in the poker world. These days he is prioritizing his wife and two sons who are growing up in Washington.
Gordon videos discussing his Lil Green Book, and two segments from Poker After Dark:
Other famous poker player profiles: