Men Nguyen Profile
Men "The Master" Nguyen is a vastly experienced Vietnamese-American professional tournament player. He has won 7 World Series of Poker bracelets with 70 cashes. His most recent WSOP bracelet was in the 2010 $10k Seven-card stud tournament, a game for which he has particular affinity. He has made four WPT final tables as well. Nguyen's total live tournament winnings exceed $9.7 million. He won the Card Player Magazine Player of the Year award in 1997, 2001, 2003, and 2005. Nguyen was born in 1954 in Phan Thiet, Vietnam and resides in Bell Gardens, California.
Things you might not know:
- Nguyen dropped out of school at age 13 to become a bus drive to help support his family.
- Nguyen escaped Communist Vietnam by boat when he was 24 eventually receiving political asylum form the U.S. in 1978.
- Nguyen worked as a machinist, earning just $10 a day to start, but eventually earning $12 an hour once he was established in the U.S.
- Nguyen first went to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1984 on a junket and played poker for the first time in his life. He played $15-$30 Stud, losing several his chips and rebuying after taking money out on his credit card, thus earning his first nickname "Money Machine."
- Nguyen won his first tournament in 1987 and opened a dry cleaning business and furniture store which he closed 3 years later because they took too much time and didn't make enough money compared to his poker.
- Nguyen went on a streak between 2000-2004 where he cashed in 120 different tournaments and won 75 of them.
- Nguyen has tutored numerous Vietnamese players, including his cousins David Pham and Minh Nguyen and more recently Can Kim Hua.
- Nguyen was give the nickname "The Master" in 1991 by one of his students.
- Nguyen has three daughters, each born on the same date but in different years.
- Nguyen donates a portion of his winnings to help various causes in Vietnam, helping finance tow different schools and offering tutelage to recent Vietnamese immigrants coming to the U.S.
- Nguyen brought 14,000 kilograms of rice to poor Vietnamese families in the spring of 2006.
- Nguyen is a practicing Buddhist and incorporates elements of that philosophy into his poker playing and teaching.
- Nguyen at times can be charismatic, funny and friendly, while at other times he can be loud, brash and abrasive at the poker table enjoying smoking and drinking a Corona quite often.
- Nguyen has been accused of involvement with tournament cheating and angle shooting, but no concrete proof has indicated it for a fact.
- Nguyen credits much of his success at his ability to read other people.
- Nguyen has won four of his seven WSOP bracelets in seven-card stud tournaments.
Men "The Master" Nguyen has had a profound affect on the Vietnamese-American poker community, influencing and inspiring many future poker players. He is a complex character, at time charming and at other times boorish, but never boring. Nguyen in one of the true tournament grinders, playing a serious volume of all level of events each year.
Nguyen profile piece and funny episode at the WSOP:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates