Chris Moneymaker Profile
Chris Moneymaker is the every day guy who shocked the world by winning the 2003 World Series of Poker Main Event. He was the first person to become a world champion by qualifying at an online poker site or who didn't consider poker his vocation. His win is created with creating the "Moneymaker Effect" that led to the boom of poker in the U.S. and eventually around the world. He is a Team PokerStars Pro who has over $3 million in live tournament winnings. Moneymaker was born November 21, 1975 in Atlanta, Georgia growing up and currently residing in Nashville, Tennessee with his wife and daughter.
Read his GosuGamers interview HERE
Things you might not know:
- Moneymaker's ancestors made silver and gold coins and chose the name "Moneymaker" as a modification of their German last name: "Nurmacher."
- Moneymaker earned a master's degree in accounting from the University of Tennessee.
- Moneymaker was a comptroller and part-time employee at a local restaurant at the time of his WSOP win.
- Moneymaker qualified for the WSOP Main Event through a $39 online satellite tournament.
- The 2003 WSOP Main Event was Moneymaker's first live tournament.
- Besides the 2003 WSOP, Moneymaker finished second in a WPT event and fifth and sixth in a couple of World Championship of Online Poker events.
- Moneymaker considers Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan the two best poker players in the world, but loathes having to play Joe Hachem and Barry Greenstein more as they always seem to get the better of him.
Chris Moneymaker has had modest success since his infamous WSOP win, but he remains a talisman of public fascination for paving the way for the common man to reach the heights of poker, especially through the internet.
Moneymaker's most famous bluff against Sammy Farha that helped him win the 2003 WSOP Main Event:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates