Barry Greenstein profile
Posted by Bill "zimba" Seibert 2 years, 24 weeks ago
Barry Greenstein is an infamous professional poker player nicknamed "the Robin Hood of poker," because he donates his net tournament winnings to charity, primarily Children, Incorporated. Greenstein is primarily a cash game player, but has focused more attention on his tournament game in recent years to bring resources and attention to the charity world. Greenstein has won three WSOP bracelets with 46 in the money finishes. He has two WPT titles and has live tournament winnings of over $7 million. He penned the influential book Ace on the River about life in poker. He is a respected and active PokerStars Team pro who plays online as "barryg1." He was born December 30, 1954 in Chicago, Illinois and calls Rancho Palos Verdes, California home.
Things you might not know:
- Greenstein skipped a grade in elementary school.
- Greenstein earned a bachelor degree in computer science and nearly completed his PhD in mathematics before neglecting to defend his dissertation.
- Despite doing well in poker, in his 30's Greenstein worked for the start-up Symantec because he felt it would improve his chances of adopting his stepchildren.
- Greenstein's crowning achievement at Symantec was developing Q&A, a software program that in 1986 was named product of the year by most of the industry magazines.
- Greenstein has two children, and four stepchildren, one of which is well recognized poker player Joe Sebok.
- While he had done well for years, Greenstein's breakout occurred in 2003 when he won Larry Flynt's $1 million Seven-Card Stude event at the Hustler Casino, donating $440k of the $770k first prize to charity.
- Greenstein accepted a $10k prop bet to say "lol donkaments" on an episode of High Stakes poker, after which he received another $45k in charitable donations.
- Greenstein has a penchant for Asian women, including fondness for Asian female poker players Mimi Tran and Liz Lieu.
- Greenstein is a co-owner of PokerRoad.com along with Joe Sebok.
Barry "Robin Hood" Greenstein has always been a forthright and giving individual. He prioritizes family and responsibility. He has been one of the best high stakes cash game players for years. His charitable efforts have brought positive attention to the poker world and inspired many other poker players.
Two massive hands between Barry Greenstein and Tom Dwan on High Stakes Poker:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates