Can I carry in Overwatch? A look at this Tracer gameplay might answer that question
Blizzard has made it clear by now that when they say team game, they mean it. That being said, FPS games offer a very high skill ceiling allowing certain players to dominate the match. Will Overwatch be different?
Take a look at the below Tracer gameplay. It's pretty intense and offers a promising look at what a skilled player can do when taking control of one of Overwatch's most mobile heroes. For those unacquainted with Tracer (the game's most iconic character and already a mascot of sorts), these two abilities are responsible for the mayhem below:
Tracer zips horizontally through space in the direction she’s moving in, and reappears several yards away. She stores up to three charges of the blink ability and generates more every few seconds.
Tracer bounds backwards in time, returning her health, ammo and position on the map to precisely where they were a few seconds before.
Anyone who's played a competitive anything knows that blink abilities are why highlight reels were invented. Their uses are infinite and become more valuable as player skill increases. Tracer is a character built around blink abilities and, as the 25-kill-streak video below demonstrates, in the right hands she can be an absolute terror.
Check out these particular awesome moments from the gameplay above:
- 0:36 The extreme mobility Blink and Recall offers saving Tracer’s life.
- 1:11 Tracer skillfully bypasses the enemy shield with her Blink and Pulse Bomb Ultimate ability.
- 1:27 Tracer predicts the enemy Tracer’s blinks and finishes her off.
- 2:29 Tracer’s mobility can outmaneuver her foes in incredible fashion.
- 4:22 The support hero, Mercy, raises her fallen allies giving them an advantage.
- 4:55 Tracer uses Widowmaker’s Infra-sight Ultimate ability to set up the perfect Pulse Bomb.
So while Overwatch is shaping up to be an amazing team game, it's pretty clear that individual player skill can make a huge different in determining the outcome of the game. So far, Tracer is the most mobile ground bound hero in the game, but this so far unreleased sword wielding guy looks pretty fast.
And if that guy is not fast, then by virtue of his samurai sword he will at least contest Tracer as the number #1 highlight reel Hero.
Follow us @GosuOverwatch for more eSports news.
More on GosuGamers Overwatch: