CS:GO resets player's ranks with the August patch
The patch also fixes the matchmaking algorithm to entice players back to the official.
Valve has announced that is making major advancements to the in-game competitive matchmaking algorithm. The algorithm, called Competitive Skill Groups, is undergoing some recalibration.
“Typically when we ship changes to CS:GO’s matchmaking system, the adjustments are small enough that we don’t include them in our release notes. However, today’s update affects all CS:GO players so it requires some explanation.” – VALVE
When the player launches the game after the update, the Skill Group will not reflect their current level – players will need to win an extra match to reveal their updated level. Valve assured that while players may see a change in the Skill Group, many players will not see major changes to their levels.
The fix is hoped to help with the current issues faced by players during matchmaking. This is not the game’s first rank reset – one was made early in the game’s life when players found themselves with highly-inflated ranks. Since that adjustment, players have been skewed very heavily towards Silver and Gold Nova.
Other updates introduced with the 1 August patch include changes in the map Ember and better reliability with Game Instructor.
CSGO August 1 patch notes
- Changes to Cannons
- Altered the angle that the North cannon faces
- Cannons can now be aimed upwards, and is now 2x faster
- Now have 3 firing speeds (change with mouse2)
- Reduced inaccuracy multiplier
- Killfeed now shows weapon icon
- Produce a beefy screen shake and more particle effects
- Base model now also rotates
- Added damage falloff to cannonballs after their initial collision
- Fixed being able to bumpmine away from cannon and keep control
- Fixed cannons continuing to turn when no longer in use
- Added bus to bus stop outside Industry
- Multiple changes to the competitive matchmaking algorithm, which will require Skill Groups to be recalibrated for accuracy. Your Skill Group will not be visible until you win your next match.
- Game instructor should now correctly reload saved state if it is disabled