Tom Dwan Profile
Posted by Bill "zimba" Seibert 2 years, 22 weeks ago
No poker player in the world has made a bigger name for himself in the last couple years than Tom Dwan. Although he was already an established big winning online high stakes pro playing as "durrrr", he has brought his notoriety to new heights since joining Team Full Tilt and emphasizing live and televised play more. He absolutely dominated the last couple seasons of High Stakes Poker, showing his game is a match for any player in the world.
Dwan has a history of being an action player, having massive swings to his bankroll. He always seems to battle back and come out on top in the end. He currently has two Durrrr heads up challenges going on with Patrik Antonius and Dan "Jungleman12" Cates. Although he doesn't play or take live tournaments as seriously, Dwan has over $1.5 million in live tournament winnings. His best finish so far at the WSOP is a second in the 2010 $1,500 No Limit Hold'em event where he won $381k. Dwan also finished four in a WPT event at Foxwoods for $324k. Dwan was born July 30, 1986 and raised in Edison, New Jersey.
Things you might not know:
- Dwan began playing online poker in March of 2004, when at the age of 17 his father gave him $50 for his birthday.
- Dwan started playing $6.50 Sit n' Go's, as they were the lowest offered, got down to $14 and then went on to win $15,000 by the time he graduated from high school.
- Dwan chose the username "durrrr" because he thought it would put his opponents on tilt if they lost to him.
- Dwan attended Boston University as an engineering major before dropping out to pursue poker full-time.
- Dwan saw from the beginning that he was a winner. He said “I never really worried if I was good at it; I just thought everyone else was bad and it seemed like an easy way to make money.”
- Dwan has always enjoyed playing heads up most. He has had epic matches against top players like Frederick Halling aka H@llingol at $10/$20, Prahlad Friedman at $25/$50 where he kept losing and battling until he overcame the challenge.
- There was only one exception that Dwan gave to his 50k hands challenge online, he wouldn't play good friend and tough player Phil Galfond.
- Dwan lost out on many millions in prop bets associated when he placed second in the 2010 $1,500 NLHE event where he had prop bet he could win one event.
- Dwan holds the record for the largest pot won in a recorded live game at over $1.1 million, which occurred during the fourth season of Full Tilt Poker's Million Dollar Cash Game. This record broke the previous record of over $919,000 also won by Dwan in the fifth season of High Stakes Poker.
- Dwan's first Durrrr Challenge with Patrik Antonius remains incomplete with Dwan up over $2 million after roughly 40k of 50k hand challenge played.
- Dwan is currently down $582k to Jungleman12 after 11.5k hands played of their 50k challenge.
- Dwan recently played in some ultra high stakes games in Macau, rumored to have won millions before his departure.
Those who watch Dwan play can only marvel at his audacity and cunning. He is able to read and outmaneuver the worlds best players. He plays the player, rather than the cards. He seems immune to the debilitating affects of huge swings to his bankroll, having recovered from a $7 million dollar downswings in 2009. He plays for money, pure and simple.
When asked what style of play he employs, Dwan said "I look at every hand and play it the way I'll make the most money."
If bluffing is the game, Dwan is the true master:
Other famous poker player profiles:
Bertrand 'ElkY' Grospellier
Ashton "theASHMAN103" Griffin
Dan “jungleman12” Cates