Supportekaiser?! A look back at SKT T1 vs. KT Rolster A
Though rumors were afloat that it was a misclick, the coach in fact called for it! Check out the potential depth behind the pick.
It's not every day you see support Mordekaiser in competitive play. In fact, you've never seen support Mordekaiser in competitive play. How could it be viable after all? He needs AP to do a ton in a teamfight and has no utility or CC to contribute without farm, right? What's the deal and why the pick? Well, we're going to dive right into that.
Breaking Down the Game
So why this setup?
It's pretty clear that SKT T1 #2 are well aware that Mordekaiser is not an efficient trading champion without items. However, with extra regen and an extremely heavy armor spec combined with the shield granted from using E on minions, Mordekaiser is nearly pointless to harass and allows for a solid, distracting damage soak for your carry (in this case, Vayne) to farm. They were not looking for kills, and instead were looking to push faster than anyone on the map could retaliate to the pressure.
Skills & Build Progression
PoohManDu built astonishingly standard for a support this game only investing to a Kage's way late into the game. However, the only noteworthy thing was a slight focus on faster Cooldown Reduction.
Out of fountain: First Dragon: 25 minutes:
And of course, the Philosopher's Stone was finished into Shurelya's and boots into Lucidity Boots as soon as affordable. SKT T1 #2's support did not build any gimmicky AP items, but rather went purely standard with a heavy focus on CDR.
Let's set one thing straight, this probably won't be safe to use in solo queue. You'll be bringing your team down unless you are duo queued with a bottom laner and know you can execute a safely warded early tower without getting ganked (notice the ward count on their support player.) While Mordekaiser can probably be replaced with other supports who do his role better and he is certainly not the only shover, what we do know is he's great at what he does do and he will have a clone capable of tanking just by tagging a near-death target with his ultimate.
This definitely has its perks for tower sieging compositions and I would not be surprised to see it re-used again in a professional environment. Taking early turrets with a hyper carry on the team and a jungler who is focused on camping lanes rather than farming is a fantastic idea and Mordekaiser is a champion that does that well.
- Effective damage soak
- Allows waveclear for carries who otherwise would not have a sufficient amount
- One of very few unconventional supports who use no mana
- Can still shield allies regardless of no Ability Power
- Can assist in clearing and tanking jungle camps if shoved with your ADC partner
- Free pet assuming your team can burst down a target fast enough
- Benefits very well off the HP/CDR items utilized by supports, even if the Philo Stone mana goes to waste
- Very niche, not great for a kill lane without sacrificing your only CC (exhaust) for ignite.
- No utility outside of pet nor crowd control
- If built to soak, you will not be capable of out trading your opponent in damage
- Will be worthless if your siege fails
- Extremely vulnerable to jungle pressure
- No role to fulfill that others cannot unless you have very weak waveclear a la Vayne or maybe Ashe
- Tricky in teamfights due to short range
- Peeling ability is non-existent
- Will now be perma-banned in Brazil for support potential. Thanks,