New blog rules

21 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 poGDI

poGDI

There is no team in Axe!

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

We changed the blog rules a bit to make GosuGamers even more friendly for everyone.

Blogs and comments posted in any other language than English will be removed or censored.

Post your feedback to help us get better.

#2 Eresea

Eresea

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

*Thumbs up*

#3 4saken.infinity

4saken.infinity

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

This is hilarious lol. You say you are making GG.net even more friendly for everybody but then you restrict the audience to those that know one particular language.

I understand that GG.net targets western audience and that English is obviously the best language for the purpose that GG.net serves but you have to face the reality of the situation and not just what you aimed for.

As it stands, I am very sure that there are at least as many visitors on GG.net from Asia as there are from the west. And most of the crew volunteering to do all the writing etc. are also from Asia. English isn't exactly the strong point of many of them. Sure they will get better the more they use the language yada yada but censoring use of other languages is an absolutely horrible way to exercise one language and it's not nearly as effective as people seem to think.

I don't see a reason to restrict content to one language as people could simply ignore a language they don't understand. The only valid reason would be that you can't possibly moderate the content in foreign languages but I am not sure if that's a good enough reason to take the comfort of talking in native language to native people away from all the people whose native language isn't English.

Also, make that "any other language" and not "an other language" please. The former implies what you wish to imply while the latter doesn't make much sense at all.

#4 Eresea

Eresea

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

And most of the crew volunteering to do all the writing etc. are also from Asia.

I don't know where you got your facts from but they are incorrect, the amount of eastern/western crew is very mixed. :) And the people who work in crew from Asia, are very good in English, as a matter of fact most of our visitors are good in English or they wouldn't be visiting an English-written site :)

The only valid reason would be that you can't possibly moderate the content in foreign languages

This is the exact reason why we don't allow it. It is impossible to moderate all the languages as there are soooo many ppl from different countries where different languages are used and it's impossible to moderate all of them. So sticking to 1 language (English in this case) that everyone is already using on the site anyway, seems like a good idea to me.

I am not sure if that's a good enough reason to take the comfort of talking in native language to native people away from all the people whose native language isn't English.

Native languages are still allowed in guestbooks and if you wish to speak to your natives you can use the guestbooks/pm's for that. But Blogs are viewed and seen by everyone and we need a language that everyone speak there.

Besides, not many blogs are written in other languages but English anyway...so it's not like it's a massive change. We still needed the change for moderating purposes.

Also, make that "any other language" and not "an other language" please. The former implies what you wish to imply while the latter doesn't make much sense at all.

Was a misspell... sorted it thank you for pointing it out. :)

#5 everlast

everlast

Honorary Crew

• GosuCrew Leads

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

#3 - Yes itīs to avoid language barriers with moderation. Also weīve had issues with spam and in English we can nip them in the butt but when itīs in non-english languages we cannot guarantee moderation.

The main issue that we see are not the blogs that are in foreign language, itīs that the "latest blog" feed goes to the right throughout each section of the site, and thereīs no way for the vast majority of our visitors to filter away non-english languages.

In the future we may be able to cater to filtering and at that point, we might support any language that we can moderate!

I want to be very clear that we did not make this move to make GG.net less friendly for non-english natives, but for the above mentioned reasons the future might hold something different.

Also to clarify: Previous blog posts are not an issue (weīre not going to delete or censor old blog posts) but from this point onwards:

Friday September 14th, 2012 any NEW blogposts in non-english languages will be removed.

Thanks for understanding,
eVERLAST

#6 akhlabad

akhlabad

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

I dont remember any posts that are been on other language than English.

Thought this is Good Idea and its really a good Advice to Learn Writing on English because its nationally and worldwidely a Language that Everyone should Understand and Write.

#7 avilve

avilve

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

does ggnet have a blog section ?

#8 Eresea

Eresea

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

#7 yes. http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/blogs ^^

#9 inco

inco

Akke Chen

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Seems fair to me.

#10 besi.sll

besi.sll

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

You should try to keep this section all english. Blogs are kinda "personal", if you can't understand what language is written, why care at all about that blog??-_-