Storm Spirit, Mana Control

30 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Enphetamy

Enphetamy

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

So I'm not a half bad player, but I cannot, and I mean CANNOT, seem to maximize this hero to his fullest extent. Despite how well I do, I don't dominate the teams as I would with other heroes of similar capabilities and/or farm, and I certainly cannot contain a game like someone who is fluent with storm can.

What can I do? Here's usually what happens: Ball in, lose selection of hero, dont know where first charge of overload goes when I land on top of the enemy, vortex, attack, rem, attack, quick ball jump, lose control of hero, shitty autoattack a creep, lose vision of enemy, try to go after, run out of mana. Its like a nightmare. I'm not bad, not like that. But it seems to be the same shit over and over!

How do you develop an understanding of your maximum potential with storm? Aka what can you do given the current amount of mana you have? It doesn't seem like it comes with experience to me, I manage to screw the pooch every time. On the same note, how does one get a better grasp of the MAXIMUM distance you can ball lightning and STILL have mana to vortex? Experience? Play play play? Its just with THIS particular hero that I struggle to capitalize.

#2 Hiero

Hiero

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

What I used to do in DotA was actually practise certain hero with bots (before using them for ladder games). By playing with bots you can more or less feel how the ulti works. Play 5 games or something like that with bots.

Also keep in mind that SS is mainly a initiator, with that said, you should fly in only when your allies can get in the fight quickly. The reason why you kept losing control of your hero can be panic but if you know what you are doing you should more or less be calm. It's kind of common sense (to me) that you should decide beforehand what you'll do in the teamfight.

What would also be helpful is watching SS Vods, I don't really see a lot of SS played lately but I remember that he was quite a hot pick in TI. People like Na'Vi.Dendi, EHOME.X! as well as M5.G showed some spectacular play. I know that IG.430 is a great SS user but I dont remember if he played it at TI.

Last thing is your skill & item build. The skill-build that works well for me is getting one level of Remnant, then getting 2 levels of Overload and getting 2 levels of Vortex. After lvl 6 you proceed to max-out Overload, then you get vortex. Depending on your manapool you will choice to skip or level the second level of the ultimate. It not advised to lvl your ultimate at lvl 16 before you get sexy mana pool/regen items. Also, remember that you will have the first level of Remnant until lvl 12, only then you will max it.

Overall maxing Overload does not give more DPS but provides more damage per mana points spent compared to maxing out Remnant (indirect quote of 430, he actually said something like this in an interview).

You should most of the time be soloing as need fast levels to be effective in the early stages of the game. As for items get a fast bottle (something along the lines of 1:30-2:00 if you are mid (buy 1 tango and 3 branches so you have less to farm for the bottle). Then get Arcane Boots (skill nulls) into Perseverance. You should dissemble your Arcane Boots when you are making the bloodstone (I usually upgrade the boots to BoT after that). After you have your bloodstone you can pretty much roflstomp with any items be it Shivas/Linkens/Dagon/Hex or even MKB .
You could also try a more right click oriented SS where you get PT into Orchid as core items.

TL:DR
1) Practise
2) Max out Overload before Remnant
3) Watch pros' VODs
GL!

#3 kaez

kaez

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

When you are balling in, shift + right click the hero you want to use your overload charge on, then quickly shift + right click walk. It will save you alot of time and make your skills execute smoother.

And also one note, try to ball ahead of your enemies, like slightly infront of them, in range to cast your grapple. Some people like to ball in, hit place a remnant to where he is walking, bide some time for remnant cooldown to come nicely with your grapple hit remnant hit. That should maximise his damage.

Some people like to go for fast Arcane boots, that isnt bad. It gives you more mana to work with anyway. Just disassemble and get Bloodstone in the mid game, then buy treads.

#4 xiao541

xiao541

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Losing hero selection might be your mouse problem. If it occurs while playing other heros too. Or you might be double clicking.
Also you can hit while balling in by attack ground command.

#5 SuperYamateh

SuperYamateh

REPORTED!

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

i hate to say this but there is no shortcut

its just practise
and u definitely need alot of it based on what u said

storm should have orchid bkb and hex

dont try long range ulti unless desperate
what happens when u always long range ulti is that u end up feeding enemy instead

if u are trying to catch or initiate ulting in about 1.5x blink dagger range should be good enough

and make it a habit to spam small ulties around the enemy to juke or ensure that enemy cant right click attack u

thats the most i can say in words

but really the main problem with u is not that ur bad using storm
its just that ur bad at dota in general
"losing sight of enemy, fail to last hit, and seems like u got pretty bad at making judgement when to ulti in"
all these are general dota skills applicable to all heroes
in other words its not that ur bad at storm, ur just as bad with other heroes but with storm its way more noticeable

another tip is to always be calm, i suspect u get too excited during fights and excitement blinds u - u wont know what is happening
learn to relax during fights, dont just button mash

#6 SudoX

SudoX

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ask Holic

#7 holypepsi

holypepsi

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

storm's first spell has aerial vision u cant miss sight..
go watch some singsing storm video

im bad storm player too

#8 PaiN-

PaiN-

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

watch blitz's storm

#9 brasi

brasi

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

ive even pro players seen attacking creeps after ulti. i guess the trick is to either have vision or just attack ground. if you land in fog you better be quick or you will wave your arms like a *** and eventually hit a creep.
another option is to simply pull while balling in, this way u lose on charge, but dont get disabled by the target.

#10 tgmy

tgmy

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

how about u watch dai's storm, and not lvl up ur ult because 1st lvl of ult is slower so it gives u more time to think.

Dont look at ur hero while u ult btw...i unno if u were trying to do that cus thats just stupid just look at the enemy u want to go for, click a spot beside them and see storm show up there a second later.

and btw the build is at least 3 lvls of grab first which is enough time and distance for u to walk slightly forward and place a remant that ur opponent will b grabed into.

i like to max remnant personally for faster farm and dps, more traditional build is to max overload for better chase and roll damage.

MAX MAX distance you can travel is half the map. Ive tested this when i was starting storm and its about all you can achieve because of the way the mana cost is set up.