Specte- a short analysis

28 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 paul-tehoctupus

paul-tehoctupus

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi, i just want to present you my thoughts about spectre- the hero which was considered as one of the strongest picks most of the time ever since competitive Dota exists. There were times, in which Spec was even considered either ban or firstpick material since you cannot really counter her in a strict sense.
So, the question how does it come that Spectre has dissappeared from competitive dota? Let's discuss firstly the Pro's and Con's of Spectre.

Pro:
-Global Ulti, One of the strongest ulties in whole Dota with only 120 Seconds Cooldown
-Has Escape Mechanism, not as good as Blink from AM but still
-For a Hardcarry, she has pretty good antipush with spectral dagger which has insane Range (like 2000 Range, not sure though)
-Dispersion scales very well in Latemid to Lategame
-One of the best Heroes for 4+1 Strat Ingame
Cons:
-Spectral Dagger has High Mana Cost and High Cooldown
-Needs to be sitted for the first 5-10 Minutes
-Isn't the best woodfarmer

So, why has Spectre dissappeared from the scene? In my opinion, the main reason for that is that people are too focused on the Radiance- Itembuild which makes her useless in the early-mid game where most games are already getting decided. In normal games, you need like 20 Minutes to Farm Radiance+ Vanguard so you need to play very defensive and cannot join fights unless you are 100% sure you win the fight and wont die. As everybody knows, dying with 2000-3000 gold is a huge knockback since it delays your Radiance by about 3-5 Minutes.
All in all, it makes Spectre a very risky pick since you can lose the whole game only by losing 1-2 Key Fights in early mid game.

I can propose a itembuild which focuses on a fast diffu rush so you can join fights the whole Early and Midgame and you have no "Breaks" in your game in which you cannot really fight since its too risky to lose alot of Gold.

So, i normally start with PMS, then i try to get Tranquill Boots, Magic Stick and a Quelling Blade. With this 3 Items, you are very stable on the lane and can also farm the woods in some decent tempo. Tranquill Boots can be dissensambled to Vladimirs offering after you have finished your Diffusal Blade. After Diffusal, you buy a vit booster- vladimirs and change Tranquill boots to Power Treads.

With this 4 Items after ~20 Minutes,

Pt
Vlad
Diffu
Vit Booster

you already have huge impact on the Game and can play pretty offensively, your farmrate is really high and you can snowball afterwards. Normally you can either build Radiance now or buy Manta Style.

Best Skillbuild is:

Dagger
Dispersion
Dagger
Dispersion
Dagger
Ulti
Dagger
Dispersion
Dispersion
Stats
+++

Normally i skill only 1 Point in Desolate since most of the time you fight it will be 5vs5 fights, and you need the Tankability to make better use of your dispersion.

All in all, i can say spectre is still a very strong hero to pick if people really think about playing her in the right sense. She can be used as a Furion Counter in some way since she can farm the Pushed lanes and still be in the Main Clashes in time. Just try it out and you will see that this way of playing her is very succesful.

PS: Replay of a game is with that Itembuild is: 27896609 - the game went very bad for me

#2 Hiero

Hiero

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

IMO you should get the supports to make Vlad's instead of spending your own money ;)

#3 guddi

guddi

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

#1 +1
I was going to write the same. Imo Vlads on Spec is gold waste because she isn't realy doing so much damage by hitting.
PT's, Diffu, Vanguard and then I would go for Manta, instead of Vlad's.

#4 pr0tential

pr0tential

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

why would u skip dispersion early? isn't that her best spell for survivability in lane?

#5 paul-tehoctupus

paul-tehoctupus

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

dispersion gets strong in lategame i dont think its a very strong early game spell. and u need the +str.

#6 Booncz

Booncz

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

#4 It give you really good survive ability early on

#7 paul-tehoctupus

paul-tehoctupus

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

ok assume u got 700 hp:

0.22* 700= 154
8*19= 152

but u get +8 agi and +8 int with stats which improves your farm a bit and u can use your spells more often. i dont know whats better i think its a matter of taste.

#8 ilogis

ilogis

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Everyone prefers Radiance for a reason.

Whatever build, Spectre is still useless early game. With your built she will be useless mid game without the impact of Radiance in team fight, and more useless late game without the farm come from it.

Too many useless right?

She is not picked because the metagame changed, better heroes came, not because noone know the "right" build and only you are such a smartass.

Side note: No Desolate, really?

#9 paul-tehoctupus

paul-tehoctupus

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

mb you think about who's the smartass here- i only gave an idea how to play her in a different way. but i guess you tried all possibilities and assume that spectre is unpickable now. so why u dont ask icefrog to delete her from dota2?

#10 CloudStrife

CloudStrife

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

meta this meta that... F meta...