The Rise of Axe

23 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 pr0tential

pr0tential

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

So theres been quite a surge of axe picks in the recent tournament streams ive been watching and im wondering what you guys think about it.

Until recently i think its safe to say that axe was never considered a "pro level" hero by the general public and at best can pubstomp effectively if fed early.

Personally as a pubstomper ive always loved axe and always enjoyed the amount of annoyance and pressure he can put early on lanes with battle hunger plus being a decent initiator/one of the best ksers in the game.

What do you guys think of this recent unusual addition to some pro teams' compositions?

Flavor of the month? or New found powerhouse?

#2 S1lv3r

S1lv3r

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

finally that great hero gets a thread ;) i like him, he got huge potential with jungling and pushing, also he can gang with battlehunger and call.
but i need to see more games with axe to be able to say he will be a great addition to the "professional" hero pool".

#3 ppg-c

ppg-c

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

"new meta!"

#4 onevoice

onevoice

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

he's definitely a fun pub but i dunno in competitive - can shut him down pretty ez

#5 maphack925

maphack925

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

it's depends on the users :). If both have skills axe can dominate lane especially mid lane. Can easily kill supports even in early or late. Vanguard, Blink dagger and Blade Mail would make him alive in team fights between 5-15 sec if lucky, he can survive.

#6 pshic

pshic

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

new battle hunger make him more viable right now,
not only the damage itself but slow to enemy and +ms to axe.
but i still think he's weak against range hero, unless he got early dagger

good thread btw!

#7 Master_Ming

Master_Ming

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Does a Chen or Enchantress need support in the jungle? No because they are rarely ganged and I would say it's pretty much the same with axe.
In my opinion the great combination of being able to farm the jungle without Mana and having a skill, that can harras the opponent on the close lane (battle hunger) makes him a very strong hero to create what I like to call a and a half lane where he usually farms inside the Jungle but he does not only come out to gank like other Junglers would, but he also helps his own lane via the usage of mana that he otherwise does not need.
I don't think he is already a "top pick" but I would love to se him more commonly used because he has huge potential, which could very well be seen in the CLG vs. Orange game where Axe pretty much wn the game by himself because he was pressuring the top and Mid lane so hard, that CLG could get an early kill and tower advantage which opened up the whole map for them.
The combination of a tower skipping axe in combination with a heavy tower pusher such as Lesh for example also worked really well in their favor.
His Ultimate also is a really strong burst skill, which I find really efectively against Morph for example. We often See Morphlings surviving with around 200-300 hp because they keep strength morphing while being attacked. Axe has the ability to shut that down with one ultimate. Other heroes that come to mind are Enchantress, who has a strong but slow heal or heroes who have a naturally small hp pool but need to be bursted down quickly, such as Rikimaru or Clinckz.

#8 174ZZ13-

174ZZ13-

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Pajkatt axe so stronk...
totally unconventional tranquil+forcestaff(no dagger and vanguard)
definately new strategies revolve around axe

#9 vitus

vitus

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Axe has been a competitive hero b4. stop talking bs.

#10 AmTi

AmTi

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

#8 like 3 years ago? with Pugna or silencer on his back yeeeee