Map awareness

15 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 violix

violix

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Can someone teach me how to be good at map awareness? I'm pretty bad at it.

#2 paul-tehoctupus

paul-tehoctupus

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

look on minimap every 5-10 sec. its just like looking in the mirror when ure driving a car. helped me alot. the rest is experience, you cant really learn it.

edit: ah yeah count the dots on minimap

5 dots: all ok
4 dots: slight danger
3 dots: medium danger
2 dotS: red alert
1-0 dots: smoke gank or other shit

#3 Divin3dota

Divin3dota

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Awesome graphics!!! dota 2 too good...
hope it ll b a new addiction fr all dota freaks!!!

#4 digestivee

digestivee

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I use minimap when scouting for enemies basically all the time. Even if just farming a lane you can't see from behind and from the front, from right and left at the same time. Minimap sees all you see, whats on top of it doesn't. Use that to your advantage.

#5 BeyondWonderland

BeyondWonderland

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

When you're farming on lane,check the map or even back a little and move the camera to the other lanes everytime the creeps have high hp,so you both last hit when needed and you see misses etc.

#6 violix

violix

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

thanks guys, really helped me alot.

#7 UrE

UrE

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

#1 Explained it pretty well - just like driving the car.

Also: If you play on Radiant keep in mind that they have way easier access to Roshan.

#8 Rufio-

Rufio-

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

I use my peripheral vision just like when I'm discreetly scouting for hot chicks.

#9 tidus88

tidus88

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Our eyes can only focus in one point. Learn to be sensitive to colour change of minimap when you farm.Usually I use "simple minimap" mode to differentiate enemy's color (red) with allies' colour. Your "sensor" has to be strong. By looking at minimap frequently, it will decrease your farming efficiency.

Train to focus in farming while putting a little bit of attention to the mini map (blur area of your eyes).

Or play heroes like Nature Prophet, Invoker(exort), Silencer, Zeus and so on to improve your map awareness.

#10 Frigoleet

Frigoleet

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Look on the minimap alot and when someone is missing try to figure out where he is in order to get a somewhat understanding of how safe you are, what would you do in his situation? After a while you will get better awarness and knowledge of the enemy team's position that will help you take better ingame decisions and avoid ganks.

You can never know 100% where the opponents are if the only clue you got is that they are missing form the lanes. You can then take a risk based on what heroes are missing, how easy can they kill you? If you for example have a hero like morphling in mid and only one support is missing, you should probably be fine by just playing a little bit more passive since you're hard to kill.