New to commentating - criticism needed

4 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 toshley

toshley

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

Title says it all, I've tried my hand at commentating various Dota 2 matches and have thus far found it to be incredibly fun and as a result, I wish to invest more time into it, and turn it into a hobby of sorts.

But it needs copious amounts of work, and whilst I've found many venues which need improving, I'm looking for outside voices to possibly shed light on anything I may have missed, as well as give some insight other than my own.

The two main problems I'm focusing on rectifying are that of my analysis and general Dota knowledge, and smooth commentary of team fights. The latter will come with time, practice and experience, the former, however, will require much research into the current meta of Dota 2, which is something I am currently doing.

Here are the latest vods, currently working my way through The Defense 2 - http://www.youtube.c...91E271D12EF76A0

First game is probably the weakest and worth skipping if you only have time to look at a single video, there are several other matches that can be found on my channel if more content is needed to analyse. I intend on releasing 3-5 videos a week and keep the content flowing at a nice consistent pace.

Much appreciation to anyone who can spare their time to give some criticism, and in turn, assist me in improving my casting ability.

#2 pr0tential

pr0tential

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

watching the hero draft in the HM vs CLG game right now, from just first impressions:

- you use the word annoying too much when describing skills, either switch it up or tell exactly why the skills are annoying dont just say its an annoying skill.

- u said clg has "massive single target damage" when they have both leshrac and es, thats a bit of a stretch.

- try to take into account what each captain is thinking when they're making picks, for instance when HM took sd 3rd u could've made a comment regarding that they prob wanted to deny CLG from the leshrac sd combo which is very infamous for being a deadly lane comp. just saying they took him for disable during teamfights is kind of like a duh type of thing. try to go next level thinking with ur commentary as much as u can to enlighten the viewers on a side of the game they don't know already.

didnt really have time to watch the entire game but from what i saw, ur in game commentary is pretty smooth and u always seem to have something relevant to say which is good also u have a commentator's voice which can't be taught so u def have that going for u.

hope this helps and gl in ur future endeavors!

#3 toshley

toshley

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Many thanks for the feedback!

- Good point, I'll make sure not to just say if a skill or hero is annoying to deal with, but make sure to explain why and what exactly it is which makes said hero/skill a problem to go up against.

- Thinking back in retrospect it sounded a little weird, I just didn't clarify on it as much as I should have. I was meaning to speak about the early game ganking potential ES and Leshrac have with their ability to chain stuns, block off escapes and finally the massive damage that Diabolic Edict can deal to a single target if no creeps are present.
I should have been clearer, and spoke of both the early game ganking potential in the early game, and then the teamfight AoE damage that could come out from both of them in the midgame.

- Thinking from the perspective of the captain is something I've been wanting to do, the problem is my knowledge is still lacking. But you're right saying that there are some pretty obvious reasons behind some picks and bans, and I'll try my best to elaborate on them more. Hopefully, as my knowledge increases I'll be able to be more in-depth during the picking phase, and give some insight from the captains perspective.

Many thanks once again for the time you took to give some feedback and criticism! Every single little bit is incredibly helpful and will in turn help me improve my commentary :D

#4 toshley

toshley

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Going to give this thread a friendly little bump, hoping to get some more glorious and much appreciated criticism.

#5 GGnet.Ace

GGnet.Ace

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

I think your language is TOO FORMAL.I like your voice also its a good thing you stay calm on fights. Based on Infused vs Znation