How can I assure pub wins?

54 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Enphetamy

Enphetamy

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

As the title suggests, I currently play a lot of (only) pubs. I've been playing for a while, like 7 years, and have a pretty deep understanding of mechanics, strategies and the likes.

Before I go on, I realize the obvious answer is, you're playing pubs, quit life, blah blah, you can't win in pubs. I know, I don't have the time to commit to a serious team.

Anyway, I see players who have an excellent win rate who DON'T constantly play with friends. Whether this be to stacking teams, I don't know. What I do know is, I cannot seem to control the outcome of my games like these individuals can. I play the solo mid in most of my games, because it gives me the best opportunity to control my game, but no matter HOW well I do, certain games always go sour.

So the question is, how do I overcome the barrier of bad teammates? Do I try to give them support when they need it? Or do I ignore them and farm? Do I gank their heroes? Their carries? It just seems winning becomes extremely difficult. It actually isn't hard to overcome a bad teammate, when they listen. I find that I can usually win with a player thats bad, but willing to listen and learn, compared to someone who is mediocre and adamant they know the game better than Dendi himself. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I a pro, or even a semi-pro, but I've watched my share of competitive games and replays.

tl;dr how do you win a pub playing by yourself?

Also, anyone need a player for their daily scrims or ih? I'm on pretty much everyday, I'm just currently studying for an entrance exam. I used to do 8-10 hours a day, now its more like 2-3.

#2 PaiN-

PaiN-

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

go solo mid and *** everyone. Eventually your bad teammate will overlevel them and win.

#3 Enphetamy

Enphetamy

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

The problem with that is the raping usually occurs with an ult. Ults have cooldowns that you can't get around. Normally, the level advantage you build through solo mid would be sufficient to successfully gank without an ult, IF your teammates are competent. Unfortunately this isn't always the case, then ganks fail, you don't level, "fall behind" and lose momentum.

#4 Master_Ming

Master_Ming

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

The answer is simple: You can't win the game alone if your enemies play together. I think your best bet would be to wait for your team to pick their heroes and then pick accordingly. There are some heroes who can win you the game by themselves, Lycan or Bounty hunter for example.
If you can, gank as much as possible and make some room for the bad players in your team to get farm, levels etc.
The last thing to do is to continue playing and you will get to a higher matchmaking level eventually.

#5 7_ShininGAngel

7_ShininGAngel

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Usually owning midlane and then ganking and helping your sidelanes works best if you want to rely on your skills alone rather than your teammates.
But if you fail mid and your teammates suck aswell it's pretty much GG:D

#6 DF.zZaIN

DF.zZaIN

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Farm, farm and farm!

#7 -K

-K

Akke Chen

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

the :FOREVERALONE: thread

the best chance is this

go solo mid and *** everyone. Eventually your bad teammate will overlevel them and win.

#8 holypepsi

holypepsi

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

i have a pretty constant 56% winrate (solo queue) and occasionally i meet pro players in pub. Recently I found out MMR sysyem works very well, For most games I lost because "bad teammate" I checked their stats and turn out they are usually decent players with similar withrate as well. Sometimes just the picks and lanes doesnt work out.

i random in most ap games and I can play ok with any role (i use to play hard carry with my teammates so when i gets to play hard carry I have a very high winrate ) and I feel as long as I play my role right, theres a better chance of winning. And for a lot games Ive lost i have certain responsibility as well.

My point is this MMR system makes it very different from old dota. few months ago I was still in dota1 my winrate was 90% along with another frd (the simple 1 mid 1 carry rule) and we both have 200TSR on dotacash top10.

now i just glad the MMR system actually works, i dont stack with baddies if im on a winning strike or the otherway around.

so im not sure about ur "carry badteammates" arguement applies to match making anymore. but I do feel when I play with my frds (with lower winrate) the skill difference is significantly visible. I'd say every 2~3% is a significant bracket. Occasionaly my game goes on first page with spectators, the level of difficulty has clearly increased and I often turn out to be the "bad player"

i see many ppl with 50% winrate complain abt their teammates, they just make as much mistakes as their teammates do.

#9 Gunnar

Gunnar

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

I think the best piece of advice is tell yourself that it's a pub. Throw that competitive knowledge out the window and buy pub items and play pubstyle.

You cant play support cos you might get a shit carry who buys all the wrong items and thinks he's Rambo/Chuck Norris. You cant play carry cos you might get shit supports who feed too much and the game ends long before you get your items up, even with 500 gpm.

Your best bet is to go with a strong ganking semi carry who can solo push with a good escape mechanism. QoP, PoTM, Lycan, SS, Furion, even CK...the list goes on. Choose the lane/jungle that you need to be in and be adamant about being in it.

You can also play something like Ursa. Teams with no coordination will get ***d by a good Ursa. Usually noone gets force staff/ghost scepter nor wards for rosh. Heck, you could even try Tiny Dendi-style. Gank squishy supports, farm your AC+aghanims and wait for the opportune time to break three pairs of rax in less than a minute.

Another example is shadow blade/lothars.. It's so good in pubs cos noone really buys dust/ward/gem. Riki is a good example of an invis pubstomp... People wait to get ganked to the point where riki has diff, manta, butter before they buy a gem. But if it was bought at level 6, riki's influence on ganks/teamfights is severely diminished. Lycan too - noone wards jungle, noone picks jungler to harass lycan. Same story. Linken's is a great survival item cos noone really goes for the cheap medallion/urn and there's little risk of chain-stunning, as compared to competitive.

Another thing to consider is determining which teammate to save and which teammate to leave for death. Saving a lost cause can lead to a death, loss of gold, broken towers and rax. Not saving that lost cause can bring you closer to Hex/Daedalus/MKB/addyourfavimbaitemhere. Some people just cant be saved or just arent worth saving and you should save your time farming/killing/pushing/breaking rax instead of helping a lost cause.

What you can also change is to be proactive in "helping" these lost causes. VS farming in mid and it's obvious he's going to be ganked? Instead of just pinging like crazy and telling him to back, why dont you ask your teammates to go mid and prepare a countergank. If noone decides to go too, fuck it and go back to doing what you need to do. If they do come, you've just changed a free kill for the opposing team into a successful countergank. Dont worry about saving the VS tho, if he dies, he dies.. so be it. Just make sure you get your kills(read-MULTIPLE)!

In order for this to work tho, you must be successful in your ganks. If you can consistently gank and kill the opposing carry + feed on their supports, you should be farmed enough to really affect the game (think Korok QoP/SS).

At the end of the day, the finger is pointing directly at you. Are you good enough to influence the outcome of a game all on your own? Yes, there will be times when you go up against a highly coordinated team/stack of 5 friends, but that shouldnt be the norm. You get shit teammates? Heck, everyone gets shit teammates. It's how you deal with it that counts.

holyshit this is a long post... tl;dr, if you aint pro enough, get good. LOLOL

#10 lionholt

lionholt

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

get necro book on every hero