Trying to get into casting

12 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 mikelorus

mikelorus

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hi all. I'm trying to get into some dota 2 casting so I went and did the set between NEXT.kz and mTw from the International Qualifiers. I know you've all probably already seen the games but I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Channel

#2 cilium

cilium

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

I like your voice! I put the video as a background noise for a few minutes and didn't get annoyed. You seem like a younger version of Purge although you lack his deep voice. Solo casting like this is pretty hard but you don't sound awkward and you're non-stop talking so props for that! W.W
I'd suggest you add fresh content - casting old games which everyone has probably already seen wouldn't attract a lot of viewers and wouldn't get you recognition

#3 Vertigo

Vertigo

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Just for the record: I haven't seen the whole thing yet.

One of my major concerns when it comes to casting is that commentators simply CANNOT realize or let's say figure out who will be playing which hero even if it's a signature hero of the certain player; which is due to them not watching any other streams except for the games that they are casting.

So what I'm saying is try to watch as many games as possible, so your prediction skills will develop. For example when Next.kz banned Tinker in the first banning stage you were quite surprised and said "probably a respect ban towards someone on mTw who's been playing a ton of Tinker", while if you are prepared you immediately know the ban goes to Socks.

Also, be a bit more enthusiastic. Otherwise it was completely okay :)

#4 SAEMST

SAEMST

I said good day, sir!

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

You dont have to predict the heroes.thats stupid and its not ez because the game is not stable and we have seen a lot of new tactics.I think a caster should be able to talk about everything, like if someone gets a dagger, how this is gonna help the team.But dont overexplain thing, like purge does.Tbh, i really dont like tobi because he always misses the first blood.He is not a good caster and i cant believe why the allow a guy like him cast awesome games(he just dont know the game,but he is doing a great job because he is screaming like crazy).

All you need is
1)sexy voice
2)improvising
3)knowledge of the game

I have never seen someone playing a background music when he is casting.I think this will be a plus.One last thing, you may have a favorite team but dont just comment on their actions.Tobi for example, he is a dendi fan(most of us are), i cant remember the game but he said like 6 times "is there anything dendi cant do?"

i really liked the cast

#5 Vertigo

Vertigo

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

2012-06-26 10:48, SwaGGeR wrote:

You dont have to predict the heroes.thats stupid and its not ez because the game is not stable and we have seen a lot of new tactics.

Read my post carefully once more. I didn't suggest him to try and predict the upcoming heroes. I said once a hero is picked, he should know who will be playing it and this way he can predict the lanes and talk about the tactical aspects of a particular match.

#6 mikelorus

mikelorus

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

2012-06-26 03:15, cilium wrote:
I'd suggest you add fresh content - casting old games which everyone has probably already seen wouldn't attract a lot of viewers and wouldn't get you recognition

I would like to but I have no idea how to get new replays or anything =\

Also to everyone else: Thank you for your advice, I'll definitely take it into consideration for future casts.

#7 CtChocula

CtChocula

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

2012-06-26 23:40, mikelorus wrote:

2012-06-26 03:15, cilium wrote:

I would like to but I have no idea how to get new replays or anything =

Also to everyone else: Thank you for your advice, I'll definitely take it into consideration for future casts.

I'm pretty sure if you buy access to The Defense from the Dota Store, you get all their replays. It's like five bucks, which is a totally negligible amount considering how much time you're thinking of investing into casting.

#8 mikelorus

mikelorus

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

2012-06-27 00:00, CtChocula wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you buy access to The Defense from the Dota Store, you get all their replays. It's like five bucks, which is a totally negligible amount considering how much time you're thinking of investing into casting.

Holy crap I had no idea. I just purchased and casted a defense game. Thank you so much for that information lol.

#9 CtChocula

CtChocula

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

2012-06-27 02:09, mikelorus wrote:
Holy crap I had no idea. I just purchased and casted a defense game. Thank you so much for that information lol.

np, have fun casting!

#10 FreakyDroid

FreakyDroid

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Enjoyed it quite a lot. You have a nice voice and you are very articulate. It is always a big plus if you know the strategic aspect of the game and know the players in more depth as Vertigo suggested, but for someone who is trying to break into casting its not that important imo. One thing that you should focus on more is to emphasize ganks, kills and teamfights with more energy. Other than that, everything was nearly perfect. Good luck!