A Vigoss (appreciation?) thread

27 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 silvusx

silvusx

Trainee Moderation

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Vigoss, a brilliant player whom had many many moments where he snags a kill and gets out alive with minimal HP. For some reason, you can't find these clips on youtube. It's quiet disappointing because what you find on youtube only shows Vigoss doing some blink / Leap then proceed to kill and that falls short of today's expectation. New players can't appreciate those "magic moments" that Vigoss brought to DotA.

I don't know if anyone remembers, there was a replay of Vigoss on QoP soloed top against Warlock. He dived past tower AT LVL 3, and killed Warlock with heal on. Now that was real impressive for me back then, I feel that it'd still be considered very special today, if only these scenes were brought up and made into movie that really shows what Vigoss was capable back then. I learned a lot from this, as it taught the importance of strong lane control. The reason vigoss was capable of that kill was that he harassed and denied warlock experience and got to level 3 first, his nuke deals more damage which warlock cannot return the same amount.

There were also scenes on Vigoss with haste ganking mid lane. He was lina (I believe) diving towers tanking the hits and runs out with sliver of hp to flask / bottle and returns back. (Felt like watching StarCaft player Microing). Of course it's nothing special now, but it definitely showed me something back then.

Then there were many epic QoP plays, such as dodging lion's impale during a tower dive (at mid's tier 2 tower), he manage get the kill and got away from 3 heroes. Or diving past tower killing Visage in a IHS replay and got out with (50!) hp.

He was also known for using necronomicon a lot, I remember he send a "lone" summon to bait in the wood, the enemy thought it was free gold and killed the (blue one) then vigoss poped up and finish the killing blow.

I guess another thing that attributes to Vigoss's popularity then was because he was VERY good at evading projectile with blink / phase shift. As well as Potm/Pudge (his game on potm during the legends vs mym was epic).

I really hope to obtain these old replay somehow since I lost them, especially the QoP dive on Warlock replay. I also hope some movie maker could put up a real show that shows what truly made vigoss legendary back then.

#2 TTIEN

TTIEN

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

+1

#3 dimethyltryptamine

dimethyltryptamine

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

+1. And he is still one of the best players!

#4 Milence

Milence

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

V-God is the best.

I`m really glad he is now in good team that coresponds with his agresive style.

I learned a lot from him to, mainly kills are more immportant then cs.

#5 JcX

JcX

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I would go crazy if he starts streaming *_*

#6 suffohemp

suffohemp

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

There is no replay of the QoP diving on the warlock.
I remember that game, some player disconnected and they had to remake early on, vigoss lost one or some of his warlock kills on the load.
The kill u were talking about was a sentinel T2-top-tower dive, where warlock ran into the trees and though he was safe, but Vigoss went in, killed him and blinked away with very low hp. Yes, he did dive two towers for a kill and ran away alive, being a squishy low level, amazing stuff.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but tango's regen were better back then(only 2 instead of 3 tho), and i remember it helped him a lot during his epic moves. Vigoss would always eat a tango and start a fight, eat a tango and gank from behind at level 1 in the easy lane (2x2 lanes 95% of the time back then).

Like you my friend, i'm also shocked that we don't have a good collection of 6.48b-vigoss moves on youtube.

To be honest, vigoss and the old virtus.pro made me fall in love for Dota (VP's rivals were important too, without MYM, SK and others we wouldn't have so much epic battles).
Ofc i enjoyed playing when i started, but watching a guy like vigoss doing his thing was really like watching nowadays Messi playing soccer or Anderson Silva fighting MMA.... it is pure magic, and when u are watching u wish u could do what they are doing.

There's another one that really stays in my memory, an epic battle between VP and MYM, where VP took all 6 outer- towers from MYM without losing one, but MYM managed to defend theirselves and came back to win, with a really farmed potm by slahser. Unfortunately, another load, unfortunately another game that will be impossible (i think?) to re-watch.

Hope Icefrog/Valve/Dota 2 learns from this, it is important to keep all the replay files and stuff, they can be relics in a near future.

#7 Revoir-

Revoir-

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

+1, vigoss showed me how beautiful is the art of ganking, and to be honest like what #5 said, vigoss is the one whom inspired me in playing dota, seriously, watching all his plays in his era was amazing, ganks here and there with no fail, and most of all very aggressive and absolute lane control.

Good thing he's back, and even though he isn't in his best shape, he's still one of those skilled and talented player out there.

Here's some replays of his I managed to find:

Spoiler

#8 silvusx

silvusx

Trainee Moderation

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

@5

That replay is somewhere (they might've done it like part 1, part 2 on mymym site) , I remember downloading it because I never watch streams due to WaaaghTV not working for me and back then it was using wc3 to stream (without shoutcaster).

#9 suffohemp

suffohemp

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

#7 which one of the two? My memory rly tricked me if there are replays, cuz i remember both games being reloaded.
Some time ago, there was a trick to watch it with Garenatv and the right war3 version, but i'm not sure if u can still do that to watch really old games. Mb this is the part 1 + part 2 u are talking about, i've never seen a war3 replay split in two.

#10 orc

orc

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

I always liked the way he used tangoes on the lane (old IHCS replays iirc). He was potm against someone and he always ate a tango before going aggro mode.