Love is Dead Casts

12 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I've been working on training myself to be a broadcaster for pro competitive matches. I started casting games with newbies to help improve their game, then I moved on to higher skilled pro MM games, and have recently progressed into casting the matches available from the international qualifier. Its been a lot of fun and I enjoy making these VODs. I wanted to share them with you all so I figured if I made my own thread here I could just keep updating the thread whenever I post a new video. Without further ado, I hope you enjoy!

#2 Borntolag

Borntolag

REPORTED!

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

If you accept advice...

- You are constantly getting lost in your own speech, too many "ah..." "ehm...". It makes you look like you don't know what to say and slows your speech a lot, it loses smoothness.

- I think you should avoid saying things like: "You know" and "So" because you are supposed to explain things, how would you feel if your math teacher told you: "Use the proper formula, you know" when he never taught you it? That would be, read the game and be confident about it, plain simple.

- You sound a little apathetic, I think you should live and feel it a little more, even when it's crap. That "Woaaah close arrow" was good, that should be your average tone-interest-hype, those instant R+E from QoP deserved some hype man :D

What do I like:

- Clear and easy english, I don't need to focus on what you say, I understand it easily. Sometimes when I'm watching Tobi I need to focus or I won't understand anything. It may be because I learned english watching american shows so I'm more used to "your english" I dunno xD

- Good approach.

- You try to show every aspect of the game: action, builds, lanes, farm...

- You sound natural.

tl;dr: I think you have talent but you lack experience, work out your speech and be a little more emotional, you'll be fine.

PS: The first time I do something like this... I hope I made my point.

#3 Alyyx20Jeanette

Alyyx20Jeanette

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

First of all - you need to speak up. Release the beast

Second thing I'd advise you to do: try watching closely what some known Dota casters, such as Tobi etc, do and steam their tricks. Nothing wrong with that, you're in the process of learning.

Also, try to play (I'm asuming you do some but even more) CWs and more serious game, and all in all play Dota2 a lot and play it seriously. Analyze things, read mechanics guides etc. Also, never lose concentration.
Losing concentration and not being involved by whole in the game you are casting means you are not giving it your all. Maybe for a change start casting some live games, by trying to get into GGnet caster slots, since when Sheever can you can also.
I'm out of ideas now.

#4 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

I do take criticism well, I think, and I appreciate that you are willing to provide it.

I recognize that I do need to work on making my voice sound more enthusiastic. My usual talking voice does not cut it and up until I started making these VODs I didn't have a reason to learn how to speak another way. I think it gets better with each week that I cast, so I don't think that ability is beyond my grasp.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean, Alyyx, about GGnet caster slots. Do they post passwords to games for spectators to join?

#5 Judaka

Judaka

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I already seen this game so I didn't watch it but I have advice anyway:
1. Play by play casting is a skill that comes with practice, go practice it
2. Don't comment on plays before result, nobody has any reason to care about your opinion. Here is the different, before result: Mek and pipe on same hero? I can't say I agree with this decision, after result: WR got picked off and now they can't hope to defend rax because without mek/pipe, they will surely lose team fight - elaborate on it if u want.

Why u might ask?

You will avoid repeating yourself all the time, look at Luminous and Tobi for example, they say the same things very single game. That's not because every game of DotA is the same but because if you talk about things before they happen, your casts will remain static and irrelevant. Look at pros cast like synd and puppey, they will always talk about what actually happened and what that means. The difference is one is blurting out random irrelevant facts and questions and one is actual analysis and description. Casters analyse and describe not blurt out random facts like fucking encyclopedias

There are many other reasons too, for example often you hear casters talk shit for 2 mins straight about how Enigma is going to struggle to get a good black hole off. Nobody cares, if you cast like this - you may very well find yourself saying this exact thing every single game, which is the problem of most dota 2 casters. There are more reasons but I dont bother explaining.

You may ask yourself, well wtf do I talk about then? Only so much to comment on..

Im not saying you cant talk theoretically or hypothetically, i'm saying only do it as reaction to some stimulus of the game and don't go too far with it. For example I see NS not skilling silence, I might mention it for 2 seconds.. but then I see NS fails a gank because he didnt have silence, now I have the freedom to talk about my opinions on skilling silence - how he shoud have known he would need silence vs this hero and if he had skilled it, kill was garenteed. Your point is valid and you have evidence and also if you do it like this, you won't tell ur audience every single fucking time for 2 mins about how NS is dumb for not going silence - only to find out he never needed his silence before he eventually decided to skill it.

3. Don't be afraid to insult or compliment players (not in excess though) because now you are commenting on failures that are real and not hypothetical. Far too often I hear noob commentators insulting pro players with 0 evidence but their own word (useless and bad). It annoys me to see that, but if you insult Morphling for going offensive tri-lane after he got no farm then it doesn't matter how good the morphling is, he got no farm and you have proof to back you up. Now you can talk about what you may have wanted to before - but back then it would have been speculation.

Speculation is fine but no insulting or praising and only mention it briefly, not 5 min speech. Well dream hack started now so bb.

#6 Alyyx20Jeanette

Alyyx20Jeanette

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

#3 I meant that you should get the chance to cast for GGnet. Try PMing admins/other casters and send them your videos. Getting there would get you to a larger audience and you would improve faster, being exposed to larger public.
I don't think it's easy, but try it. And get opinions from actual casters about your casting skills.

#7 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Fair point, Judaka. I was going to far into the realm of speculation in an effort to find something to fill the downtime. After going back and looking for what you mentioned in tobi/synd casts I see your point. They do speculate, but it is usually based off of what the player has done at that point. I'll work on that in further casts.

#8 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

I have another one for you guys.

I've done my best to keep my voice interesting as well show more of the overall game, although I think I missed the early skill builds.

#9 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

I have another one for you guys! It's way longer than I expected, but that just gives me more practice. I think I was able to stay lively through it. Huge farm vs. huge farm!

#10 loveisdead

loveisdead

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

I have four more up for you guys, if you're interested, but I wanted to showcase this one:

I'd love any feedback!