PlayStation in-game advertisement?!

9 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 poGDI

poGDI

There is no team in Axe!

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sony just applied for a patent for in-game advertising. This sounds ridiculous. I wonder how man people that will stop playing games or change console if this gets real.

NeoGAF user onQ13 spotted a patent describing said technology on Thursday. The method of advertising described should be familiar to anyone whoĺs ever watched television: Youĺre playing a video game, the video game stops while an advertisement is shown, and then you continue playing the game.

I think there will be more people downloading games for PC or so instead of buying the. As someone said in the comments in the link bellow:

Guess this is the case where people will praise pirates/crackers for cracking the games to remove the commercials from them.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.digitaltr...u-a-commercial/

#2 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Don't know why they need a patent. I guess in that case Sony is handling the ads and the publisher / developer do not have to solicit ads themselves. It's probably a good marketing move for them, business wise, but it's a lot of effort without moving any end-user sales.

As for in-game ads. Some are fine. The fake ads in GTA I like. The "realistic" branding for jerseys or car parts is fine. The billboard ads I can ignore. The ugliness of Dirt 2 made me avoid that game.

#3 poGDI

poGDI

There is no team in Axe!

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

You need a patent for the technical part how you implement it.

#4 Dinozavre

Dinozavre

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I don't care. Nothing can be worse than the invention of DLCs.

#5 Zeyall

Zeyall

Honorary Crew

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

#3 what about micropayments? :D

#6 LML

LML

Senior Moderation

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Interrupt the gaming experience to show ads? Haha, that is quite sad, tbh.

#7 Jizzus

Jizzus

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sony patents method for PlayStation in-game advertising that stops games to show you a commercial

I'm sure they hired an entire team of software engineers to come up with this "method".

I haven't followed gaming news in a while, but this move probably means that PayStation sales are going down, and Sony is trying to get everything it can from the sinking ship. Good riddance.

#8 bebeLUVnardo

bebeLUVnardo

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

I hated commercials on T.V what makes them think we can accept this for videogames? DLCs, always online even for single player games and now this? Like one of the comments it's silly enough to think that you payed something so that you can watch commercials. Oh and that is setting aside the fact that you willbe distracted afterwards.

#9 Eresea

Eresea

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

This actually made me laugh... commercials ingame... wtf xD I seriously hope they dont get away with this tbh... this is so sad... I cant even describe how sad i think it is... Commercials is the reason i dont watch TV anymore and watch all i want/need to see online instead... now implementing it into videogames... If I was the player of some game and had it paused for me to watch some stupid commercial id be pretty pissed off >.<

#10 minininjaturmix

minininjaturmix

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

2012-06-01 01:14, Eresea wrote:
This actually made me laugh... commercials ingame... wtf xD I seriously hope they dont get away with this tbh... this is so sad... I cant even describe how sad i think it is... Commercials is the reason i dont watch TV anymore and watch all i want/need to see online instead... now implementing it into videogames... If I was the player of some game and had it paused for me to watch some stupid commercial id be pretty pissed off >.<

seriusly this... i dont even have a TV because i just cant watch commercials now in games aswell???!!!