Some slightly random thoughts & an idea

9 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 fericitu

fericitu

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hope it makes some sense as I wrote it in a limited time frame: 30 minutes. Also, my native language is obviously not English.
Any commentary is extremely welcomed but I preferred it would be expressed through arguments.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you know or partially have an idea about how dota started from a custom map of Starcraft and evolved into the game that we know love and enjoy so much. A long journey, which lasted for more than 7 years and necessitated many hours of work and creative effort. I will get back to the concept of creativity as being central for the game.

It is an e-sport and that naming, in my opinion, has a lot of drawbacks. That is to say that it is kind of a sport but not precisely - perspective which implies in human minds that it is not as serious. Sports are considered those activities that involve physical activity, yet games like chess, darts, billiards and others are unanimously regarded as such. So, I say dota is as much of a sport as any other, necessitating individual skills as much as team coordination. It just has not legitimatized as one. In short, it developed very similar to any other sport, particularly team sport: from an enjoyable activity shared among a closed community to a common practice of spending time (state in which is yet to advance).

I would argue it requires a level of team coordination even higher than any other team sport does. Having to choose 5 heroes from a pool of 108, each one with it's unique abilities; adding to that a considerable list of items makes up for a impressive deal of possible combinations and tactics. Blend all of those in a head-on 5 on 5 battle and you get the picture of how many things a player must take into consideration in-game. A LOT! Yet, still we see almost the same strategies and heroes picked. Shifts in meta-game are generally coming from well-established teams - the most successful ones and that should point us towards something: that qualities like team chemistry, tactics and strategy, a general shared understanding of the game are central to having success. The past is filled with examples of how dream-teams formed of highly skilled individuals failed miserably.

But who and how does a team develop in terms of the qualities I previously mentioned? Well, it is generally the captain that is supposed to think about the game, to coordinate his team-mates during matches, review and discuss games and strategies. A lot of work which actually requires a separate set of abilities and knowledge than playing at a professional level. Also, in game he has to process a lot of information:
a) the general state of the game: “Is my team leading? Will we be leading in 10 minutes time if the match develops in a similar fashion?
B) a course of action: What is the most beneficial action we could undergo right now; should we kill Roshan or go for the tier 2 tower at bottom? Should we gank their carry or try to push as fast as possible?
c) a general item selection strategy: Should we buy tank items on supports, or maybe go for disabling one?

All of these and others, while managing his own hero. Of course not all of these choices (esp. the ones regarding items purchases) are made by one man. Heck, maybe only a small of a portion of them, but what I am suggesting is that a greater deal of proficiency would be attained if it would be such: that one man would think about those things as thoroughly as he could - considering time pressure - and coordinate the team without having to be involved in the game.

It might be obvious that I am pointing towards of the concept of coach – a real time one – just like in other sports. There could be that 2 other slots where available for such position for each team – each having access to his'/her's team map visualization.
The benefits I think it will bring are:
→ more coordinated teams, more enjoyable clashes
→ new people thinking more intensely about the game → new strategies, heroes being used, more creative effort → innovation brought into the game.
( I just realized I wanted to express some ideas about how creativity relates to the level of likability of watching the game but due to time constraints, I messed it up :P)

Another point: tactical breaks at offline events (where technical difficulties are not that much of an issue): 2 rounds of 3 minutes time-outs in which the coach could point out some future course of action. It could serve as time frame for commercials (as I'm also thinking about how companies investing in dota could find means of appropriating value).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 bu

bu

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

The time that games become cyber sports are coming!
Spoiler

#3 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

This has been brought up before and was used to great success by DC.

#4 pesky_89

pesky_89

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

wall of text
tl;dr
resume in 2 phrases.

#5 grubla

grubla

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

2 Row Summary:
We should add coaches and maybe time-out to the game of Dota in order for it to grow and become more professional and like a "sport".

#6 fericitu

fericitu

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

@ngazi: can you provide some further information or a link? I would be insterested.

@pesky: if you need an abstract for 1-page-texts why would anyone be concerned with you oppinion? Not meant as an offence, but something to think about.

@grubla: nowhere did I stated that it should add coaches IN ORDER TO become a sport. I already consider it as one. My suggestions were aimed at enhancing the qualities it already possesses. Of course these are my thoughts concerning the matter, I haven't stated them as being the only or the natural way of development.

#7 rapidz

rapidz

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

that wouldnt be good.. when you have much more time to think with coaches, there will be less mistakes and the mistakes make a game coloured..
the games would take like 20 more minutes to finish and will be rly boring since every step is thoughted.. sometimes you have 2 act instead to think.. all about time

#8 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I could have sworn someone made a thread about this here but I can't find it.
http://bbs.sgamer.co...387159-1-1.html

#9 fericitu

fericitu

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

You were refering to DC as in dotacommentaries? What did you mean by the fact the they it out with success?
Unfortunately sgames is of no use to me as I do not understand the language :)

#10 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

Ehome and their DC. Just look at the video.