7 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 tgmy

tgmy

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Not a troll thread

Ive heard that dota has become really popular in the philipines as evidenced by the myriad of pro teams that are emerging. However the growth in quality is not catching up with the quantity.

Can someone who is famliiar with philipino dota shed some light on whats going on?

#2 Hamasaki_Fanz

Hamasaki_Fanz

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

indeed, ph and indonesia has so many dota player, however only few are pro (imo ph's pros > indo's pros), others are just playing dota for fun ( or maybe they want to be pro but they dunno how :P ), and also there are kids who think they're pro =_="

#3 mg-ac

mg-ac

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Why is dota becoming more popular when everyone is turning to dota 2?

I know in China warcraft 3 roc players are turning to either dota or LOL cause as we all know pro warcraft is dying.

#4 SeniorKittyKat

SeniorKittyKat

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Last time i talked to a close friend that lives in the Phillippines, they use a really old version of WC3, Maybe thats part of the problem?

#5 killingindname

killingindname

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

It had always been big here in the PH. Its just now that you noticed it since most of EU had already switched to Dota2. Also because of GEST that showed the pro teams here in PH. Sponsors could also be one factor since I'm noticing sponsors actually taking notice of the PH eSports scene.

#6 orc

orc

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have a hard time calling teams from Phillipines pro, I really do.

#7 HellKaiser

HellKaiser

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well, where do we start.

DotA has always been very popular in PH. The main reason why it's really not noticed before is back then, the scene revolves around top Chinese teams and top European teams, and some Asian teams here and there that could pose a challenge. The most annoying thing about PH DotA is it's define by two words: Bottle Crow. I can imagine 95% of PH players use this playstyle which requires very little skill to stay in the lane. I've mentioned in another post that "Do you know how much you need to suck as a player to lose the lane while using bottle crow?" As evident, pro AND pubs use it.

Now that Europe has moved on to Dota 2 and China is now starting to do the same, the only major tournaments and games left are now all SEA. This then makes you see literally a lot of teams that weren't even recognized before, and admittedly, Malaysia and Philippines are the only real countries who have teams with real success. That's why this GEST tournament, it's really just a battle between Malaysia and Philippines and some other popular contenders like MiTH.Trust or so, and the other teams are largely just additions because let's face it, other countries don't really have that much credibility when it comes to skill.

#8 imogul

imogul

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

growth of dota here in ph will suffer just like counter strike... most pub use 1.3 version when its already 1.6 being use in international competition.. dota 2 will take time to be adopted in most pub... most player cant afford to buy cd key and personal computer unless pub take out dota and adopt dota2 if its F2P.... i just admire ph players that they are fast learner but really lack of exposure and guidance.