scouting as Z

4 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 G.M.T

G.M.T

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

when to send out that drone to scout , when is optimal to send the drone to scout ? when hatch first or when doig the 14 pool built ?

#2 mg-ac

mg-ac

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

If you are confidence, all you need is the overlord. Otherwise either 7th -9th drone will be good timing.

#3 GLSkruffy

GLSkruffy

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

-.- 7th drone you mad bro?

vs p mostly only lord needed unless u play a cheesy player or u wanna hatch/evo block fast expand then i scoute at 14 suply

vs t 15-16 supply shoud do just fine while taking expantion

#4 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

In ZvZ its really map dependent and play dependent, if you're going 14gas 14pool you don't need to scout before 14 (because your cheese-safe anyway, and just wanna know posistion)
BUT if you're opening 15hatch, you will have to scout for 6-10pool or potential 7roach rush/14g14p-bling.
For a huge map like tal'darim a 15hatch build in ZvZ might even require a scout at 10th drone.
(but in zvz if u get ovi-scout (close by-air maps) you won't need to send drone scout at all in ZvZ.

In ZvT you can't really rely on the overlord, even when close-by-air you will have to drone scout, the great thing about this matchup, is that when your drone arrives (given you scout early) you can force 1 of his scv's of mining and to chase yours (by harassing his rax building).
Personally i scout in ZvT at the gas-trick drone (which is basicly drone number 10,5), but im doing a 15hatch build.
If i was doing 14gas14pool, then i would propebly just wait for ling scout.

In ZvP the idea is basicly to get there before stalker is out (if 1 base)
or before he puts nexus down (if he does nexus into forge).
Given this large variety (and the fact that he might even go forge first then nexus) you basicly have to do scout on 11 or 10 here to).

and il explain why: in ZvP the general metagame now is basicly that you HAVE to do hatch first (since you basicly can't stop 16nex with the normal 13 or 14pool)
Making hatch first OR some 1base all inn the only viable options.
BUT he can still do a forge-fast expand, and canon ur natural, even tho ul have a ovi over the natural, you basicly allways want to know if the forge is down still (for instance the forge-1gateway push will not be scoutable by a ovi in ur natural).
Think thats all :P

#5 Namazu

Namazu

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I usually scout when I'm on 14supply. It all depends on what race your facing. Against protoss I scout later and usually early game it is enough with the overlord. Earlier vs zerg in case of cheese builds.