11 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 KrocK

KrocK

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Some important points mentioned by Tobi :

1.TEAMS NEED TO STABILIZE THEIR ROSTERS ASAP.
Valve is giving prime importance to this issue.

2.Invites going to be sent out early which could probably mean that TI2 would be held in early-mid August (unlike August end)
And Synderen also pointed out that they received their invites last time in June which translates into teams being invited in the month of May this time around.

3.HUD revamp incoming

4.In-Game store wont offer performance enhancing add-ons.
(I think even if they offer it, they could always create a "fun mode" within which its use could be confined.)

The f2p thing was a no-brainer especially after past interviews of Gabe Newell, their inability to penetrate the Chinese market without f2p (even India for that matter, The idea of paying for a game sounds ludicrous to the billion+ population in general.Seriously.) and Cyborgmatt's "discoveries".

*(IMO, One entry of the entries in the blog is really what sealed the fact that DOTA 2 was going to be f2p -

“item_name”: “Repentant Soul”
“item_description”: “A crystal containing the soul of a saint. Use it to immediately exit the low priority punishment queue. This does not clear leaves or reports from your account.”

--Now this is quite similar to the Unban/Ban-Appeal card that Garena made a fortune off.)

If you thought that the concept f2p model + "twists" was truly ingenious, just think for a moment at how DOTA 2 has become the 2nd most played game on steam inspite of being in closed beta without any sort of publicity/marketing.Worth a case study I think ;
Although it would be a one-of-a-kind thing since DotA itself is a one-of-a-kind game. That could be one of the reason why this tactic has successfully paid off.
Its really interesting how Valve is using the community itself to propagate the DOTA 2 buzz.
There simply is no need for an external agency.

All they have to do is provide beta keys as fuel, and the community does the publicity/marketing/promotion for them.
And they have cleverly used community leaders/representatives to promote their game via a 3-rd Person perspective which clearly seems to be superior to the conventional methods.
eg. v1lat(Russia+CIS), Tobi, dpm(SEA), Cyborgmatt, Orange.Esports(SEA) etc.

Every now and then Cyborgmatt or [insert-a-geeky-nick-here] will come up with leaks and stuff that they just "happen to" unearth. All of this seems strategically timed so as to maintain the community's interest and keep the momentum of the buzz going.

I remember how I thought in the month of February , that since I had finally received a beta-key (yea, i got a key in early feb; go on have a laugh), maybe it was no more a hot commodity.
But 2 months past that and ~150% server capacity ramp-ups, Beta-key giveaways still attract a large crowd.

I realize that I may have been highly speculative above, also may have stated something terribly obvious to a few others.

@Valve : *Bows down and _/\_*

#2 frac7al

frac7al

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

thanks for the summary etc! :)

realized tobi streaming too late...

#3 Booncz

Booncz

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

^^

#4 KrocK

KrocK

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Embedded the video.

#5 Alyyx20Jeanette

Alyyx20Jeanette

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

You hear that, pgg? :D

Also, this should get to headlines.

#6 MiC.

MiC.

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Again no pgg on TI what a shame:(

#7 lubacos

lubacos

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

what is hud revamp? :)

#8 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Cool if a player can't get a visa then you can't replace him.

#9 tdmm

tdmm

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

#7 lolitrollu

#10 luc14n0

luc14n0

Akke Chen

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

#7, i think valve will cover that... The US are opening their legs to get ppl buying/consuming in their contry...

One important thing you didnt mention was that Tobi afirmed that ALL the -CM heroes will be ported to Dota 2 before The International, and thats HUGE.