is Dota2 really the same with wc3 DotA?

22 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Hamasaki_Fanz

Hamasaki_Fanz

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

I've been playing wc3 dota for 6 years and I understand the mechanics well.
And now, I've been playing dota2 for 3 months or so, and wondering, is the mechanics really the same with wc3 dota ?

for example: in wc3 dota, quelling blade is an orb effect (because in wc3 it is an orb effect), so it will no longer have its effect if we get another orb effect. However in dota2 the engine is different, so is it still an orb effect?

if you watch all eps, you'll become more curious

#2 BroSnail

BroSnail

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

2012-04-12 07:01, Hamasaki_Fanz wrote:
for example: in wc3 dota, quelling blade is an orb effect (because in wc3 it is an orb effect), so it will no longer have its effect if we get another orb effect.

Posted Image

#3 blazingfear

blazingfear

REPORTED!

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Mother of orb effects... We need to go deeper!

#4 thezor

thezor

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

They're trying to port pretty much every mechanic as accurately as possible - some will however be different, like SK's Storm not dealing damage to neutrals, since they don't go apeshit anymore, but that's a rare thing. Everything else aims to be a 1/1 copy as far as mechanics are concerned.

#5 4saken.infinity

4saken.infinity

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

#3 is wrong. They are clearly going in with a different orb effect priority. Heck they aren't even gonna call it orb effect. They are calling it Unique Attack modifier. My guess is that it's closer to a buff placer than an orb effect in its effect but doesn't really matter either which way. They wont be separating buff placers and orb effect from what I can tell.

I am fairly sure the changes will be well thought through eventually and sanctioned by Icefrog so there shouldn't be huge glaring issues but atm, the mechanics miss many of the hijinks of wc3 DotA.

#6 The_4Lb1N0S

The_4Lb1N0S

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Several things differ indeed: the neutral troll can summon his skeletons right after a creep died, without having to wait for the "skeleton" of the creep to pop. Neutrals no longer run away when taking continuous damage (like dark seer's ion shell). In wc3 you needed an observer watching the game (or a bot doing so) for the neutral creeps to attack the player when the player attacks them, if there is no observer, neutrals will attack the nearest foe.....

#7 MiC.

MiC.

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

quelling blade an orb???? so when i had it and mom i didnt deal +30%dmg to creeps?oO

#8 Hamasaki_Fanz

Hamasaki_Fanz

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

^ http://www.playdota....ics/Orb_Effects

I prefer wc3's mechanic.. it's good and somehow it's one of the art of dota itself

#9 KIH

KIH

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

They are trying to implement the same mechanics, but I believe Icefrog wanted some things different in the original dota (e.g. unique orb effects?), but was not able to do so because it was not possible on the wc3 engine.

#10 Zuko

Zuko

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

#0, I watched this vid, and u cant do anything like that playing Dota2, map is completely different.