Always-Online policy in nextgen consoles

11 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 GalingAtTalino

GalingAtTalino

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

As you all know, Diablo 3 is mostly a Single Player Campaign, this is evident by the fact that the initial release will NOT support PVP. But still, it requires an always-online policy to play the game. This is not the first time this always-online policy has been implemented, and for every game that did, it received major negative feedbacks from the community.

There are now news that the next generation consoles by Sony(Playstation) and Microsoft(XBax) will implement this always-online policy. For me this is very disturbing. That's why I like to share an article I just read from gamespot ...

http://uk.gamespot.c...waysonlineIsn03

Needless to say, I am totally against this policy. Internet in the PH is generally slow and I do not want to suffer lag when playing a SINGLE PLAYER game. That is why I will be supporting Torchlight2 instead of Diablo3.

As a sidenote, kudos to Valve for implementing LAN support for DotA2(or maybe its just because of icefrog that Valve did it).

#2 Zeyall

Zeyall

Honorary Crew

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

but that's the trend... sadly

#3 BroSnail

BroSnail

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

There will be no LAN mode same as WC3. You have to log on to Steam to play Dota2. Mark my words.

#4 GalingAtTalino

GalingAtTalino

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

2012-04-11 08:37, BroSnail wrote:
There will be no LAN mode same as WC3. You have to log on to Steam to play Dota2. Mark my words.

There are 3 possibilities:
1. DotA2 can be played on LAN without any authentication
2. DotA2 can be played on LAN but must first be authenticated at startup by steam.
3. DotA2 must be always connected to Steam(which is equivalent to always being online)

Of the 3 possibilites, only 1 and 2 seems to be plausible because if they insist on always-online, they will have major problem selling the game in China. And China is the main population they want to sell the game for.

#5 ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ngazirrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Steam does not require an active internet connection to log in and play single player or LAN. Steam did not kill 1.6 LAN.

#6 bebeLUVnardo

bebeLUVnardo

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

It has been implemented already. Though not 100% of the game library. Just a few games like Assassin's Creed remember? Also the incident when PSN was down for a month and there was this one game (forgot the title.) which was recently released and customers who bought it couldn't even play the game. Yup a brand new game, sitting there and you couldn't even play it for a month because of that restriction.

I'm playing one game like that right now it's armored core 5 you can play it offline but your profile for online and for offline are separated. Anyway I was doing this mission trying to obtain something which is really tedious and hard so I had to run the mission multiple times. When I finally accomplished the mission, I lost my connection after a few seconds. I was like wtf?! Of course my accomplishments have been void. Had to repeat it all over again and finally got it after 2 runs. -_-

#7 makpantek

makpantek

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Them and their "war" against piracy is really getting out of hand. I wish i could shoved dollar bills to blizzard's ass to get a LAN version of diablo3 .

#8 MrBlue

MrBlue

Honorary Crew

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Money talks.

#9 Moneymay

Moneymay

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

They said the same with World of Warcraft. Now look at what they implemented, battlegrounds, arenas raids not to mention 2 skill sets one for PvP and one for monsters.

We could not deny that the online only* move is a business move. But with the auction house implementation this would be for the best because duping or any form of cheating would be almost impossible if not impossible if the game is not client side. It'll be good in the long run.

Look at the bright side, You play hardcore and you sell through the auction house, you get your money back(from buying the game) possibly earning more while playing the game you love.

With E-sports growing and as this suck as it may sound for those people who have slow internet connections it is for the best. Besides the internet providers are also upgrading it won't be long before we all go LTE or something.

#10 TrollBoss

TrollBoss

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

try playing Kingdoms of amalur dude...

i'm against this always-online policy shit