Are drops worth? doing

10 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Jeezus

Jeezus

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

In so many of my matches i just get confused whether to play Medi drops or not! in tvz its hard to make good use of drops thanks to mutas, but thing is u have to avoid zerg getting 4rth base or its over. and drops become essential. but thing is i mostly play passive game, because i suck at drop play ,any thing i can do improve it? yes i think mutas shuold be distracted away and if i play drop i need turrets in base+ atleast 1 thor ,but this will be so turtlish that i find it hard to get 3rd going on and eventually fall behind. tl;dr help tvz,

#2 llauoykcuf

llauoykcuf

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Drops are essential.

I dont know what to tell you more than that.

I will assume you already know the potential damage you can do with a drop but you seem hesitant because of mutas. Just pick your timing when you notice mutas are are on one side of the map to do a drop from the other side or move out a little bit safely and pressure your opponent into moving his main army then do the drop. Various ways you can accomplisg it really, just improve your multitasking.

If its late in the game aim for the latest expansions or tech structures in the main.

#3 mansnicks

mansnicks

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

2011-12-04 09:26, Jeezus wrote:
but thing is i mostly play passive game, because i suck at drop play

Sounds to me like lack of multitasking skills.
Some time ago some1 told me: "Drops are only good because of good positioning them" (such as behind mineral lanes?). Just sayin. no need to make a drop if zerglings can just surround and kill marines.

#4 marieRB

marieRB

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

I think they are very useful if done right. If you are able to take out enough workers or buildings it is definitely worth it. A bonus if you get all your units out alive. If you have some map control a drop is easy to pull of. You just need to know what the enemy is doing.

#5 inco

inco

Akke Chen

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Drops can do so much in TvZ in my opinion!

First of all there's the obvious; killing workers and tech, thus making your own economy and tech superior.

You force the Mutas to function defensive instead of offensive. It also makes you know where they are at any given time if you drop several places at once. For instance, drop some stuff in the main to make it seem as though you're going for tech but while the Mutas are in his base, you simply drop at some expansion or whatever and kill off workers/the hatch.

Especially on lower levels, if you drop something in their main, or at the very least, somewhere close to their main army, they will most likely send their entire army to kill it off. This is something you can use to waltz into position yourself for a push right outside his base.

You also send the signal that you're the one dominating the match. You make him defend and adapt to your play, which makes it all the more easy to set the tempo and development of the game.

If possible, drop everything somewhere he doesn't have vision before engaging. If he pulls off drones, you'll do way less damage with only one and one marine popping out at a time, compared to all of the rushing in and firing stimmed shots.

Personally, I love the most to kill workers and to get his army into a fortunate position.

And as I always add in posts like these, before I started playing random/team games, I only got to diamond so a lot, if not most, is likely to be incorrect or "not quite right".

#6 NexCa

NexCa

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

try to beat an equally skilled player in any matchup in a macro game as terran, you wont win.

#7 f4R.m3R

f4R.m3R

Random Meepo

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Watch Game #2 of the WCG Finals 2011 @ GomTV. MVP will give you your answer first hand. Brilliant Terran that guy.

#8 Creegz

Creegz

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

As a Zerg player, a drop is a great thing for a terran to do, because if the player replaces drones lost (as he/she should) then that is one less pair of lings, one less mutalisk, one less roach, etc. Basically larvae is limited each cycle, if you can force the decision to take an overlord and a drone that's 2 larvae that are dedicated to restoring that upkeep. That's the reason why drops are so successful. And when you get better at it, you can do multi prong drop harassment causing greater damage and resulting in less larvae used as military units.

#9 ZhaKuL

ZhaKuL

Random Meepo

• Members

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Drops are good but are not everything. Sure, in certain games and against certain opponents, some good drops can turn the tides, but you first have to survive the early- and a big part of the mid-game.

#10 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

#8 that depends how you build up your strategy really, and how you build up your drop.
There is things such as forcing a drop to work...