Terran scouting patterns?

7 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

so some months ago i found my TvZ a bit lacking, mostly cus i died due to pushing out just as he was attacking, i called it bad luck but realised it was just bad scouting (im a random player).

i realised that i just needed to scout more often as i was pushing out, but i have a hard time knowing <>
(im in master league if its of any importance)

so any high-terran players whats ur unit of choice for scouting for which parts of the game? whats the logic behind it?
i do for instance realise that scouting with a viking would be superb lategame, but before i get starport&factory? what do you choose?
do you use marine once u have stim?
etc etc :)

#2 NexCa

NexCa

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

one stimmed marine normally, if you wanna attack, re scout early game with a scv if you dont want to waste a scan and have the opportunity to do so.

Just if you wanna be absolutely sure whats going on, scan the key location you want to know, thats basically it.

#3 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

why scan? lets say i do a 1rax fast CC build with some non-gas marine pressure to follow up (i pressured with the 1 rax earlier aswell)
this pressure would potentially kill ME if he is timing-attacking, and i wont have stim yet
is the economical right decission to send out a new scv? or send out 1 marine before the others? (scanning here seems a bit expensive to me....?)
what if i want to follow this pressure up with a 2tanks-marine pressure on the 2base, with the stim not finnishing before im at his front, do i rly want to waste production on the factory for a hellion? (scanning at this point of the game seems to be like worthless, he WILL have a roach warren anyway and his army is propably outside so i cant see it, the only point of scan here would be to see inestor or spire) on the way.
after this should i build a viking to actively walk around?
or just use a spare medivac to send ahead? (empty)

#4 PsychoBaBas

PsychoBaBas

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

I would for sure send an scv. Faster than a marine unless he is stimmed of course, and more hp at that point (before combat shield). Plus I would rather lose 1 scv than a marine at that point, since a few microed marines can potential stop a push.

I only scan for creep tumor removal and for lair/spire/hive timing.

#5 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

but aint u afraid that ul set ur economy to much back?

i mean when i play il normally push inn and out like 5 times before i get my 3rd (at least) when im playin good.

and each time u kinda HAVE to scout ahead to be safe
thats 5 scv's, i feel like that is a bit much but its ok for TvZ in ur oppinion?

#6 142536

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

I just use a marines to scout army and expansions. save up scans for the midgame push, when you really will be needing it.

#7 StarSLayeR

StarSLayeR

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

make 10 orbital bruh

#8 foxj

foxj

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

Marines, SCVs and mainly Scan ... Scan to scout, deny creep tumors then why no scan ?
In early game, u can pressure or aggressively play without scanning but in the big fight. And in some timing point, need to scan his tech, army to know what's he going to ( Mutas / pure lings / bane / or fast tech to Ultra/broodlord ). You can't scout his teach with one rine or scv.
IMO you want to save scan for mule for mineral but what's used for when you play more two base ( 2 OC is really fast ) ? Don't know his teach scout-less could cost you the game. Same when you want to saving one marine or scv
And hellions help you better map control with fast speed then marines, scv.