New to Starcraft II and Zerg

17 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Bengernaut

Bengernaut

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I've never played Starcraft I and I didn't get the beta for Starcraft II so I'm definitely behind the curve as far as experience with this game. I've watched a few high ranked games and pov's of starcraft games and I decided to play Zerg. Being that I'm still terribly new to the game I've probably played about 50 games or so vs AI and a few ZvT and ZvP. As I play Zerg more I'm understanding unit control and building sequences but I feel as if they're lacking firepower. More-so I'm lacking resources, especially considering hydralisks are costing me a good chunk of vespene gas to produce.
My question is should I continue playing Zerg? After I've read a few different posts throughout the forums I've seen many people state that they are drastically underpowered vs protoss and they still have trouble vs terran. I've also read that competent players can manage to work them well but considering I am FAR from a competent player at the moment I'm debating on whether starting with zerg is such a good idea. I don't want to actually start any ranked multiplayer games until I can beat at least one AI on insane. Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side not I mentioned the resource problem, I've never had this trouble when I messed around with protoss or terran so is it just me or are zerg just that resource dependant? If so how can I fix this?

#2 mesaber

mesaber

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

More drones fixes your resource depletion :P

#3 Bengernaut

Bengernaut

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

2010-08-16 17:06, MeSaber wrote:

About how many drones should you be spawning in that case? If the game seems like it'll last a bit longer I'll spawn anywhere from two to three bases each with at least 8 drones, my main base usually has about ten to fifteen.

#4 hyouro

hyouro

ZSMJ Medusa

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hmm let me see if I can give you some tips.

Here is a solid build for zerg. When you reach 10 food supply, then make an overlord, then you make 3 drones and throw down a spawning pool when you can afford it.

Then you make gas/extractor when you have made the spawning pool. Then you keep making drones until you are at 14 supply. Then you make an overlord.

When you have made the overlord you build a Queen as soon as you can afford it. Then make some zerglings, when you have 100/100 min/gas then you make zergling speed.

Try play around with that.

When you have played around with that. Learn to harass with your speedlings/zerglings. When you become more confident with the build. Next step is to balancing the drone/attackers count.

I use a rule, when ever I was in a little battle and I won. I make a couple of drones. And then make army units again. But this takes a lot of practice. And I still haven't got it right. (Most important thing though is making sure your Queen is using her macro ability)

Rest comes with practice practice practice.

Edit: Moved this to strategy forum.

#5 homesmasher

homesmasher

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well i often end up with 80-100 drones, and im rank 2 diamond now, so i think u just have to play a lot and find ur own play style dont listen to people like #3, its just misleading, make drones til u feel that u have to make troops, but never give up the thought of more drones later tho, its that simple

#6 phrikshin

phrikshin

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

You probably need 20-30 drones per base u have, 6 on gas and 24 on minerals is optimal. As for some zerg tips, here we go:

1. Creep tumors are ur best friend.
2. Muta contain is something u will need to be doing a lot.
3. You need to expand earlier than all other races, by about 20 minutes u should have 2-3 expos and an extra hatch for production.
4. Tech swaps are going to be the key to victory, especially against toss.
5. If a terran tries to cheese you, send a baneling bust his way. If he doesnt cheese, try a FE, it seems to work well if u can get a crushing economy going.
6. Hotkeys are a must, find a way that all ur hatches are hotkey'd, and all ur units u will be attacking with are hotkey'd, with at least 2 hotkeys devoted to serperate groups of units. I hotkey 1 to lings, and 2 to mutas a lot. This way I can have 2 seperate attacks going at the same time, and really press my opponent hard.
7. The lair needs to come about sooner rather than later. Hydras mutas and infestors are probably the strongest tier2 units in the game, making zerg a best in mid game, try not to rush tier 2 and ruin ur economy, but u need to get there.
8. Setup overlords in places where u can see things like medivacs and various units coming to push u, but not where they can be easily harassed and killed.
9. SCOUT THE ENEMY!!!! If u cant scout cause they are doing a lame 1 base strat, they are probably rushing air. Luckily, u can expo expo expo tech tech tech, and have 40 hydras and mutas ready to meet their 2 void rays.

#7 mesaber

mesaber

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

2010-08-16 17:22, Bengernaut wrote:

2010-08-16 17:06, MeSaber wrote:

About how many drones should you be spawning in that case? If the game seems like it'll last a bit longer I'll spawn anywhere from two to three bases each with at least 8 drones, my main base usually has about ten to fifteen.

3 drones per mineral is a "full" resource income. Just like other races you can either spawn a lot of drones at once to get a fast stable economy (if ure safe) or do 1 drone now and then to boost your eco slowly while getting army. My recommendation is checking your opponent and when he looks inactive u launch a mass of drones.

Other tips are watch pro replays like dimaga, idra, haypro, koreans..

#8 Geno.

Geno.

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

Practice your macro ability.

#9 ppTheJackal

ppTheJackal

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

RE: only playing against AI

you should really jump straight onto ladder and play against humans dude,especially as you have a fair few games behind you. Maybe in your placement matches you will play people markedly better than you (pretty sure I did, either that I just suck!) and once you're in whatever league, chances are you will be playing people of about your ability anyway.

Also, AI is generally predictable, but humans arent so much. Helps with practicng scounting asnd tech switches.

And finally its sooooo much more satisfying beating a human player, although in saying that it fucks my shit uuup when the computor GG's, hillarious :)

#10 Tykor

Tykor

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

day9 always talking about making drones after big attacks etc

Its pretty much

Goodattack into mass economy