Port Forwarding Failed ?

9 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Observer

Observer

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

If you did port forwarding and you still are experiencing latency issues while trying to play starcraft, people can't join the games that you create or you can't play with more than 1 player in a game, then this topic is for you.

Port forwarding (6112 and 4000 TCP/UDP) in some cases will not be enought to end with this issues, a good example is the router : Thomson Speedtouch 585v6

Why is that ?

Some routers have an extra protection which will still block some connections to your computer, and it is not possible to manually disable it.

Then what should I do ?

Solution #1 : Contact your ISP and ask for a router replacement, usually your Internet service provider will have 2 or 3 different models to pick from.. try all of them, and if your do not success, try solution #2.

Solution # 2: The solution here is to bypass the protection of your router and that will only be possible configuring a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone).

A DMZ is a segment of a network in where the computers asigned to it are given public IP (Internet Protocol) Address making it possible other computers outsite the LAN (Local Area Network) to connect and use the services of the computers in the DMZ.

You don't really need to understand this, the only thing that you need to know is that a DMZ is gonna let you play Starcraft.

OK how in the hell I configure a DMZ?

Depending on your router model, this can be pretty easy or a pain in the ass.

The steps you need to follow in general are this:

1.- Search in the web for your router original user's manual, the one that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) provided you could be modified to hide the instructions that we need, so find the original.
2.- Locate the instructions in how to enter the configuration utility of your router
3.- Once entering your router, check in your user guide how to set up a DMZ, or how to assign a Public IP to a computer in your network.
4.- Once assigned, it may ask to restart your router.
5.- Now go and create games in starcraft and play with more than 1 people in games with out lag ^^;

Example for the Thomson Speedtouch 585v6:

Posted Image

What if I can't find the DMZ option in my router configuration utility ?
If somehow your user manual does specify how to set a DMZ or Assign a Public IP to your computer, but you are not able to find that option. It is way possible that your ISP made a modification in the firmware of your router to hide that option. In that case you will need to replace the firmware of your router with the original manufacturer firmware that can be obtained in the official website.

Before doing that, make a backup of the current configuration of your router to recover your ISP configuration after doing the firmware replace.

Warning:

DMZ means Demilitarized zone and as it name says, it will remove any firewall and extra protection from router to the computers in matter.
In other words you will get your computer vulnerable to attacks from the dark side of the internet.
My recommendation is to, set up a firewall and antivirus software in your computer and pray.

when I made this I passed 6 months without receiving a single attack to my computer then I changed my router with the ISP so is nothing to really worry about, but you should be warned.

Good luck; and feel free to ask any questions

#2 ever)Z(Telecom

ever)Z(Telecom

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

cool thx for this info

#3 ostojiy

ostojiy

BurNing AM

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

I am way too lazy to bother fixing my hosting issues. This is what I have friends for :)

#4 Drake

Drake

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

u never need to do dmz ... u CAN arange every router to fix without DMZ ... or perhaps but then they must be rly old oO (i work with pc and in last 3 years i never had any customer etc anyone who had a worker u needed to do dmz for kinds like this ^^) also all my allys who have this problem in starcraft i was able to fix the problem without dmz ^^

#5 mesaber

mesaber

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

if you need to use DMZ you got a failed router..

Buy a new one and better one!

#6 toriak

toriak

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

i had issues with that public IP stuff even without having any router.
i just asked my isp for asigning me public IP and it helped.

#7 Riot2

Riot2

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

dmz will expose the whole computer to the internet, bypassing the router integrated firewall I think.
Another possible fix would be upgrading your router's firmware, that sometimes fixes issues with games and certain applications.

#8 dl)B1nary

dl)B1nary

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have a little problem too.

I have opened right ports and still can't join 2v2 game without lag. BUT I can host even 4v4 without lag.

It is not that bad, but sometimes when I want to play 2v2 game, and many are allready created it is bothersome problem.

#9 Observer

Observer

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

This issue is very weird as you say, and most of the time you will find a better solution before doing a DMZ whit most of all the routers in market.

The trouble is that some ISP in America Latin countries and some in europe decided to provide their customers with cheap routers that had this issue. So, there still a lot of people who have this problem and have tried many things with no success.

It has nothing to do with your computer experience, I've worked fixing computers since i was 12 lol .. 10 years now, and when I found this issue I went in to a deep frustration cause all the logical solutions were not working. So I did a research and this is what I've found.

#4 You are right, that's what solution #1 says.

#5 You are lucky, I don't think my ISP would do that, they are so gay.

#6 You are right too, Im adding the secondary effects as a warning for those who desire to try this.

Overall thanks guys for your feedback.

#10 damnoldman

damnoldman

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:08 AM

yea it sucks really. isnt there any software to do this?