Ask Blizzard

132 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Mazor

Mazor

OVER NINE THOUSAND

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

Got any questions to Blizzard? Post them here and we'll have them forwarded. Cheers.

#2 Scorch

Scorch

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

do they plan to implement a strong ground-to-air unit for terrans, like the old goliath? i know the viking is supposed to take the goliath's role as anti air, but as an air unit itself it is not the same. terrans had the underused valkyrie already, but built goliaths for anti air purposes because they are far cheaper for what they achieve. ground units by definition are less mobile but also cheaper than air units, so it does make a difference.

#3 aresake

aresake

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

2007-10-23 17:46:09, Scorch wrote:
terrans had the underused valkyrie already, but built goliaths for anti air purposes because they are far cheaper for what they achieve.

Actually, when you think about it, gols play a very limited role in terran antiair.
Vs Zerg air: Terrans use M&M, turrets, and vessels primarily.
Vs Terran air: If terran goes mass wraiths, your best counter is valks. If terran goes bcs, your best counter is wraiths (and maybe ghosts).
Vs Protoss air: Gols are useful here for keeping shuttles and arbiters at bay. If P goes for carriers, you generally see mass gols as a response, but only because they have a million factories up and not a million starports. If they could build wraiths rather than gols, they would. More to the point, if they could build vikings rather than gols, they would.

#4 so.respected

so.respected

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

#2 I disagree.

Wraiths generally aren't a good idea to mass in response to BCs because they're more easily countered than Goliaths and are more expensive. What's harder to obtain? BC+gol/ BC+turrets/ BC+4 valks / or BC+tank?

Similar situation vs. Toss. Goons + carrier will > wraiths far more easily than goliaths. Wraiths are more of a 'surprise' unit to hit them when their detection is low (eg no obs or only a couple accompanying carriers). Wraiths are useless in anything other than anti air defense unless you use them at the right time. Goliaths are superior in terms of anti air because they're cheaper, do more damage, have better range, and can fair against grounds units as a bonus.

Back on the topic of questions, I'm interested in new implementations for SC2 battle.net (e.g ladder system, map pools, clans, etc), although this probably isn't something they can answer yet.

#5 vlad00

vlad00

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Will they fit the new starcraft with a competent replay viewing incorporated program(one where you can actually go back and re-see something), and competent game analysis after the game is finished(like bwchart only incorporated)?
That'd be cool :)

#6 iuvenalis

iuvenalis

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

I've got question for them:

"Are those unit designs, which we see on the StarCraft2.com page, final? Are you going to change anything in them, if the vast majority of the community won't like them?"

Hopefully not...

#7 Whiplash

Whiplash

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

2007-10-23 23:14:33, iuvenalis wrote:
I've got question for them:

"Are those unit designs, which we see on the StarCraft2.com page, final? Are you going to change anything in them, if the vast majority of the community won't like them?"

Hopefully not...

Of course they aren't, some of them may be but blizzard said all their graphics are subject to change.

#8 Jive

Jive

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

2007-10-23 21:49:33, vlad00 wrote:
Will they fit the new starcraft with a competent replay viewing incorporated program(one where you can actually go back and re-see something), and competent game analysis after the game is finished(like bwchart only incorporated)?
That'd be cool :)

Agree, need rewind feature, and enhanced replay viewing user interface. And please give the ability to watch replays with friends online. Offline viewing solo like in wc3 is major suckass.

#9 3clipse

3clipse

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:44 AM

I would love to see a feature on b.net that lets you ob games currently being played (without having to have been there from the start, and able to come and go as you wish). Might be totally unfeasible, but I could imagine it working with the right restrictions. Just throwing something out there.

#10 Mazer

Mazer

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:15 AM

I love the idea of enhanced replays. I'd suggest having an option to play the replay in first person so you could follow all the gosu players around to get a feel for what they're doing. I know there is a plugin to do this with SC but it'd be sick if it came with SCII built in. And yea, I know of FPVODs but those are pretty limited in number and not nearly as good quality as a replay can be.

2007-10-24 06:44:39, 3clipse wrote:
I would love to see a feature on b.net that lets you ob games currently being played (without having to have been there from the start, and able to come and go as you wish). Might be totally unfeasible, but I could imagine it working with the right restrictions. Just throwing something out there.

Although I like the idea, I could see issues with players telling their friends what the opponent is doing etc. Plus, it may cause lag issues.

My question (I'll think of something better prolly): Would it be possible for Blizzard with SC2 in conjunction with a few of the major leagues (WGT for example) periodically release official map packs so that we don't end up with 30 versions of LT, Luna, and Python? These 'official' updated maps could be used for w/e ladder they plan to use.