Noam Chomsky

8 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Meistro

Meistro

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Perhaps you've heard of Noam Chomsky. His occupation is professor of linguistics at MIT but this is not what has driven his massive popularity amongst academics and every day people all around the world; it his message, one that unambiguously challenges the foreign policy of his country. His impact is massive and continous.

Chomsky's activism, like many others, began in the early 60's when he became involved in the anti-Vietnam movement. Today he speaks primarily about the media, state sponsered terrorism and power. He is also the author of many books and you can view hours and hours of his lectures, speeches and debates online.

One of the many things he talks about is how the 'left' in American media serves a limiting force for conversation; the mainstream left is exactly how far you are allowed to go in terms of thinking and criticizing, anything else will not be published or considered. He talks about how politicians and corporate leaders 'manufacture consent' amongst the populace and he speaks, relentlessly, against oppression and aggression. I have compiled a Noam Chomsky Archive if you are interested in finding out more about his work and how society really works. It is accessible at :

http://watchthis.zak...6&id=8&Itemid=3

You can also watch 'Manufacturing Consent' and 'The Corporation' as well as a few other feature films he was heavily involved in.

#2 gud

gud

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:48 AM

This seems very interesting! I'll have a look at it.
And also, coincidentally enough, my grandfather have just finished a book called "The essence of Language A Philosophical Problem. Why Noam Chomsky was never a linguist". He's always been kind of a cynic... :P

#3 Meistro

Meistro

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:25 AM

^_^ That sounds like a great book. Chomsky certainly has many critics, as does any genius. I don't know much about his linguistics it was always his politics that interested me.

#4 riptide

riptide

Random Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

Although Chomsky has done a lot of good work, I think my main gripe with him is that he's a prescriptivist, in that he basically believes that language changes and evolves according to predefined rules. As an aspiring (albeit undergrad) armchair linguist myself, I have big issues with this assumption. As a descriptivist, I believe that language changes occur based on a variety of factors that cannot be quite nailed down, and that the evolution of language itself is semi-random process that is fueled by society, culture, and people.

So, although I admire him for his commitment to linguistics, I must say that I disagree with his overall approach to the field. Also as #2 said, I first started reading about him in regard to his political stances. He's definitely one of America's most outspoken intellectuals.

#5 rainbow

rainbow

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Chomsky is EVERYWHERE:D

#6 homot

homot

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

#1 is Sven Öhman your grandfather? :D yes he's cynikal

#7 Aphasie

Aphasie

Merlini Zeus

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

I find most his topics interesting and some of what ive seen is good, but i can only get Chomsky on Anarchism #1-5 working!
Do only i have this problem?

#8 Garroteman

Garroteman

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Noam CH. is a great man, but he is DRY as hell. You can take so much of this man at once before you drop dead.

Great prof. , not so great speaker. His writting is also heavy ;p
Give him a shot, you might (hell, u will!) learn something.,

#9 Meistro

Meistro

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

Espen :

Try using firefox and pressing f5. There may be a few 'broken' videos but 95% work.