3D the Good & the Bad

25 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 Ryp

Ryp

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hi, I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of Starcraft having 3d graphics.

This is my list

Advantages:

- no more floating buildings over units on terran and not being able to target them
- better understanding of how the units/buildings look
- rotating buildings ? the new 3d rts games seem to be able to rotate buildings to position them better

Disavantages:

- better CPU needed
- "warcraftish" look
- different looking game (this can be both good and bad)

What do you guys think ? sorry if there is another similar thread, I cant find it.

#2 wo0py

wo0py

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

I think what you call advantages.. are actually not important or disadvantages.. point 1+3 are imho no advantages..

Calling it 'warcraftish' is because of it has same engine.. so it has nothing to do with 3d or not 3d cos imho does generals not look like warcraft nor like the demo we saw.

#3 Jortikka

Jortikka

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

i hope the camera angle will be locked

#4 r.larvae

r.larvae

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

I agree with #2.

I think its different engine than War3 because of the whole lot of improvements to it, like scenarios, units moving through cliffs, and the falling/rolling debris, etc.

#5 Ryp

Ryp

Hex0r PotM

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Why would you want the camera angle locked ?

We seen in the SC 2 videos it isnt locked...

#6 r.larvae

r.larvae

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

to make it more similar to the original sc gameplay

btw except for the the look of the tanks, and the jungle style map ... it didnt looked warcraftish to me

#7 Jortikka

Jortikka

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

oh i forgot, yes in the demo the camera angle wasnt locked, but i think itd be easier if it was locked i mean u shouldnt learn to zoom, rotate etc - how to use the camera correctly :) - i think itd be best if the players couldnt change the camera angle but the observers could (and in the replays itd be possible too)

i dont know about the minuses but the graphics looks nicer in 3d, i like the graphics shown in the demo, except the tanks model...it looks a "bit" wierd

#8 tellur

tellur

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

I hope there will be with 3D graphics no more stacking(but I agree if there will be SCVs pobes and drones stacking when they are gathering minerals. You must know what I am thinking about.)

#9 Cho_Gal

Cho_Gal

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

about camera angle: if this cant be changed at all ingame, the issue ins c/bw with units hiding benieth large hovering units or buildigns would remain. i wouldnt like this. i think wc3 presented a good soloution here actually: the cam angel is locked for the most part, but you can temporarily adjust it a bit - just enought to ofset mentioned uncomfort....

This, and theamall convinience of nicer ingame cenematic scenes is all i can think of that speaks for 3d .... blizzard has alot to prove with this... rendering huge amies in 3d at good frametrates at lower end systems really hard do aitn it?

#10 tellur

tellur

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

#8 u are right, blizzard imo will work for many hours just to render huge armies their moves and others what is #8 talking about.