"Walls" in StarCraft 2!?

36 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 spartan[nk]

spartan[nk]

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Okay okay.. remember that ancient past-time strategy game that was a hit in it's day? I'm talking about the Age of Empires series. Well, for those of you that've played it you know what I'm talking abut, but for those of you that haven't read on.

Here is an image of walls in one of the first AoE games:
Posted Image

Basiclly, in AoE each race was allowed to build walls as a structure makable by their primary builders. For me, and for others, walls were a vital and key part to making bases, and at the same time they proved to be fun.

Also, with the introduction of "jumping" terrains/cliffs, walls would make things more interesting. Now of course you could just make a row of Supply Depots, or a row of Sunken Colonies, or a row of Pylons, but certain units can still squeeze in between them, ie. Zerglings, Marines, and the much loved Zealots.

In short, I think some sort of actual walling structure would be awesome in StarCraft. It provides interesting base defenses, layouts, adds to the microing of ground and "jumper" units, and just looks cool.

#2 SouL)Z(JomaR

SouL)Z(JomaR

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

the purpose of that would be to prevent harass. how efficient u think that will be when there is now units that can go over walls with ease?

#3 songlove9k

songlove9k

Mania Earthshaker

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

who need walls, we need a fast gameplay.....LOL

#4 MaTTeX

MaTTeX

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

Not everyone wants to turtle like u do kris! :)

#5 spartan[nk]

spartan[nk]

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

2007-06-08 00:52:06, Skyii.CombaT wrote:
the purpose of that would be to prevent harass. how efficient u think that will be when there is now units that can go over walls with ease?

Thats like saying, how efficient are ground units since there is air units?
Not every unit can fly.
Not every unit can jump over walls.

2007-06-08 00:54:55, Dunedain wrote:
who need walls, we need a fast gameplay.....LOL

It doesn't slow down the gameplay at all, its just a more solid strategy of using the Supply Depot & Barracks wall to stop Zealot rushes.

2007-06-08 01:05:56, MaTTeX wrote:
Not everyone wants to turtle like u do kris! :)

Blasphemy! I don't turtle!

#6 Garroteman

Garroteman

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

walls are big part of C&C series. While it would work for terrans, sort of work for toss, but how the hell are zerg supposed to make those?

interesing feature for terrans, and terrans only..

#7 Laverick

Laverick

Repick Meepo

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:20 PM

I think I might have dreamed it, but didn't an interview or gameplay video say that protoss could generate a shield wall around there base?

#8 regretswift

regretswift

Dendi Pudge

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

this is starcraft not aoe, if there is no walls we invent them ourselves :)

#9 spartan[nk]

spartan[nk]

Full-Team Black Hole

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:40 PM

2007-06-08 01:17:38, garroteman wrote:
walls are big part of C&C series. While it would work for terrans, sort of work for toss, but how the hell are zerg supposed to make those?

interesing feature for terrans, and terrans only..

I didn't mean your standard wall just for blocking stuff. Maybe have different types of walls per race.. for example:
Terran has a concrete wall that they can shoot over (like a pile wall of sandbags in the movies).
Protoss has a Psi wall, much like their Mothership counterpart, that all ranged attacks by weak, or strong, units (not all units like the Mothership does) become useless.
Zerg has a creep wall where units trying to trekk through the wall are slowed down like a quicksand.

2007-06-08 01:20:00, Laverick wrote:
I think I might have dreamed it, but didn't an interview or gameplay video say that protoss could generate a shield wall around there base?

I think you're talking about the Protoss Mothership, it generates a shield that nulls all attacks in its range useless.

#10 gatech

gatech

Ahh, fresh meat!

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:49 AM

I don't wanna starcraft to be like the AOE games, and I don't think anyone else does. Unless you enjoy games with nearly identical, yet unbalanced races. (I havn't played it in a long time so I don't remember which ones, but I know that only a few of the civs in AOE 1 were viable competitively). Not to mention the fact that their are "super units" which trump all the others. Anyone who played AOE 1 remember the horse archer? lol.. or if you played AOE 2 it was the scorpion siege weapon + pikemen.

I'm not saying AOE series sucks, but it is not comparable to SC on competitive level. Why would you want to take ideas from this game?

Actually there was one cool AOE feature that SC lacks which is randomly generated maps. But then again this could just cause imbalances... not good for competitive play.